GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendation for headlight protection

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm trying to keep my headlights in new condition for years to come. Has anyone used protective films on headlights? Seems like a good way to prevent the OEM UV coatings from wearing off over the miles. I've found Xpel, 3M, and Lamin-X. Anyone have any experience with these, or should I just get the cheapest of the three?

JS82

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm trying to keep my headlights in new condition for years to come. Has anyone used protective films on headlights? Seems like a good way to prevent the OEM UV coatings from wearing off over the miles. I've found Xpel, 3M, and Lamin-X. Anyone have any experience with these, or should I just get the cheapest of the three?

I recommend Expel. Have it on my headlights for over two years. The film is very thick and will protect your headlights from all sorts of rocks and debris that gets thrown on them.

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
I recommend Expel. Have it on my headlights for over two years. The film is very thick and will protect your headlights from all sorts of rocks and debris that gets thrown on them.

Did you happen to install yourself? I wonder if the thicker film is difficult to work with...

JS82

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you happen to install yourself? I wonder if the thicker film is difficult to work with...

Definitely difficult to work with. A heatgun is highly recommended. I did it myself and it took quite a while to get perfect results. Save yourself the frustration and have a professional do the installation for you. I think it is around $150 vs. $70 if you do it yourself.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
I used Lamin-X. Installed myself, a heat gun would have made it easier. 2 years and still looks perfect.

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
Ended up going with the Lamin-X kit. The first light had a few bubbles, the second one went on perfectly. However after a few days they both look great. Pretty easy install.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I put the 3M film on my car 3 years ago and they still look great, install was pretty easy for a first timer. It's a thin, stretchy film and bubbles rub out easily.

I got the 3M film at InvisibleMask.com, was around $35 IIRC.

Last edited:

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I can't recommend the Lamin-X. Shortly after installing I noticed a few sparkles at the very bottom of the headlights. Didn't think much of it. Now not even a month later there are cracks all along the bottom half inch or so of both lenses.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well I can't recommend the Lamin-X. Shortly after installing I noticed a few sparkles at the very bottom of the headlights. Didn't think much of it. Now not even a month later there are cracks all along the bottom half inch or so of both lenses.

Doesn't sound like it has much if anything to do with the film itself. Installing a film isn't going to break your headlight lenses.

Vmax911

Passed Driver's Ed
Guess it could be a coincidence. Six months of pristine headlights and then they both develop cracks within a week of installing the Lamin-X?

It seems there are a few cases across the internet. The theory seems to be that the Lamin-X film somehow impedes the heating/cooling and thus the expansion/ contraction of the headlights which leads to cracking.

I don't know exactly what occurred, but the results suck.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Guess it could be a coincidence. Six months of pristine headlights and then they both develop cracks within a week of installing the Lamin-X?

It seems there are a few cases across the internet. The theory seems to be that the Lamin-X film somehow impedes the heating/cooling and thus the expansion/ contraction of the headlights which leads to cracking.

I don't know exactly what occurred, but the results suck.

OP and others, don't use Lamin-x. Vmax and I both found out the hard way.
Doesn't sound like it has much if anything to do with the film itself. Installing a film isn't going to break your headlight lenses.

Your are 100% wrong. It absolutely does cause the lenses to crack. Very well documented on car forums all over the internet. Not specific to GTI's

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
Having a car with 29k miles on it, I'm considering doing Expel. However, I've noticed my headlights are already lightly peppered with rock knicks which are really only noticeable when the headlights are on. As far as the UV protection, I would think any coating would help.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Oh no I recently installed Lamin x on my Osrams. I better take them off this weekend.

Not sure if it depends on manufacturer of the lights, but with Osrams I wouldn't risk it. Those things are pricey.