GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FS: Custom OBDeleven holder insert for glovebox

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I replaced the removable coin/SDcard/ticket holder insert inside the glovebox with a 3D-printed ABS plastic OBDeleven holder. The holder snaps in place perfectly and is a direct replacement for the useless (IMO) card holder.

The OBDeleven is held in place by friction, via an actual purchased female 16-pin OBD port, which is epoxied into place. A single pin is inserted into the blank port which provides just enough bite to hold the dongle in place without it being difficult to remove.

I went through 3 prototypes before I got it perfect. Space is pretty tight in all dimensions except for depth, which is practically infinite. You can see how the glovebox light intrudes into the opening, and this required careful design consideration. There isn't much more you can fit vertically or horizontally, and I needed to factor in room for my fingers. I had thought about making an insert to hold twin recessed USB charge ports, but then I received my OBDeleven and realized that I enjoyed keeping it in the car. Hence my decision to create a holder for it.

If there is interest in a twin USB charge port insert, I have a design ready, and I've already sourced the twin port charge module to pop into it.You would only have to tap into existing 12V and ground sources.

I made 10 units, and am offering the remaining nine for sale. I put considerable time and effort into these, and each one gets the front face sanded progressively from 80 grit to 220 grit with a palm sander to remove the 3D print lines, then shot with flat black spray paint, and finally the OBD port is epoxied in place. I am only asking my cost plus a very modest amount for the sanding, painting and epoxying steps, which do cost me time and money.

Pricing is $20 shipped CONUS, payable by PayPal friends/family or otherwise net of fees. PM me to purchase.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
In for one.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
PM'd

Edit: bought one

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Bought one. How hard is that little insert to get out?

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
PM'd.