GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

A few people have reported this...

"touch wood" I have not had any problems at all with mine...still solid since the day I fitted it 4yrs ago....

& before you ask yes I have seen some high speeds...one, cough...hundred cough...and ten cough mph...over taking a load of trucks :cool:.

I believe I may not have fully seated the clips.

You just hammer the end until you can't see the end right?

Bent it back. New clips are on the way, will do a test run on empty road before its brought back out.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I believe I may not have fully seated the clips.

You just hammer the end until you can't see the end right?

No...the original ones that I used you have the centre pin is extended out...& you hammer it FLUSH with the collar of the rest of the fitting...if you push it inwards it starts to unlock again...:cool:

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
No...the original ones that I used you have the centre pin is extended out...& you hammer it FLUSH with the collar of the rest of the fitting...if you push it inwards it starts to unlock again...:cool:

Got them in, thanks Dave. It should be perfect now. Do you work as an engineer or scientist of some sort to be doing all this research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Got them in, thanks Dave. It should be perfect now. Do you work as an engineer or scientist of some sort to be doing all this research?

Good thing you asked about this. I completely overlooked Daves' original instructions and did the same thing you did -- did not push in the center pin. Good thing I did not drive after I installed the covers. Fixed it yesterday.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The pics of the pins FLUSH look correct...:cool:

Fully qualified Architectural Technologist (University graduated)…….but life got in the way & I ended up doing other things...I almost did an Honours Degree in Electrical Engineering but at the time I had no confidence in my Maths...I have a very analytical & practical brain..which means I can get slightly OCD...

The past few years I have been semi-retired....at 45yrs old....:cool:....& glad I have been due to all the stuff that life has thrown at me in that time..as I would have had to quite my last job anyway...

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

I believe there is a compatibility issue regarding the front exhaust cover and the Tyrolsport front deadset rigid subframe kit.

The Tyrolsport kit comes with a different subframe bracket design which lacks the proper contours and holes to attach the front exhaust cover.

The Tyrolsport subframe backet has less of an angle compared with the OEM bracket and pushes the front of the exhaust cover further down making it a lip spoiler which defeats the purpose of the cover.

I'll try to post some pics when I can.

Last edited:

vstypicals

Ready to race!
Car(s)
N/A
So for those tracking their car, what's the latest as far as what's proven to be work with high speeds? From what I've read so far, the front tunnel cover is a no go? Anything else?

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
So for those tracking their car, what's the latest as far as what's proven to be work with high speeds? From what I've read so far, the front tunnel cover is a no go? Anything else?

I haven't taken mine to high speeds, but the front exhaust tunnel cover feels more sturdy than the rear tunnel cover.

Just my own observation.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
The Verus plate is the only one that's proven to make a large difference on the track.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

I've had mine upto 110mph....

The "problems" are because people push the center pins of the rivets into the body...& not FLUSH...as pushing them IN causes them to unlock....:cool:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

My front tunnel cover saw speeds over 140mph at Watkins Glen. No issues but it was secured with reinforced Thomas and Betts cable ties rather than pins

The Verus plate is the only one that's proven to make a large difference on the track.

I've only been running the Verus rear diffuser for a week but it seems to work well at high speeds. I'm looking forward to testing it out soon on track :)

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Has anyone been able to find a solution for the Rear axle cover mod?

E-acca can't find it and Im not finding it anywhere.

everything else is good to go

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Has anyone been able to find a solution for the Rear axle cover mod?

E-acca can't find it and Im not finding it anywhere.

everything else is good to go

one is Passat & the other is mk6 Golf....

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
one is Passat & the other is mk6 Golf....

Correct! maybe I read it wrong but I was hoping to get the mk6 golf one and port it to my mk7 gti. It may not be availabe on my side of the pond however.

I did order everything else tho!