GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
You are absolutely right about breaking it on the ground. The service manual states you can break it on the ground, but turn it no more than 90 deg. I am no expert on bearings, but VW states turning it more with the suspension loaded can cause damage to the bearing.

The 12-point axle bolt is 24mm.

I figured that I have barely any use for a torque wrench (how often will I be torquing the axle bolts, after all?), so I just returned the one I got. I'll keep the one you mentioned in mind.
you don't use a 1/2" drive torque wrench to torque your wheel bolts?

for a person that hasn't changed the bearing before, you really like to argue.

why worry about damaging the bearings you're going to replace.

jury-rigging while initially torquing to 200 Nm can be potentially dangerous. one slip, things go flying and risk injury.

the 200 Nm is if you're given a grade 8.8 bolt

if you're given a grade 10.3 axle bolt as part of the kit, the the torque is much lower, 70 Nm plus 90 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion

if you're given a grade 10.3 axle bolt as part of the kit, the the torque is much lower, 70 Nm plus 90 degrees.

I've seen this mentioned a couple places but completely forgot about it. They ar visually different right? I remember something like that. Do you know the differences off the top of your head? Good to know for future reference. I think it was something like 12 point vs 6 point head but I don't remember. Thanks.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
you don't use a 1/2" drive torque wrench to torque your wheel bolts?

for a person that hasn't changed the bearing before, you really like to argue.

why worry about damaging the bearings you're going to replace.

jury-rigging while initially torquing to 200 Nm can be potentially dangerous. one slip, things go flying and risk injury.

I beg your pardon? I stated above I changed both of mine several weeks ago.
Where was I arguing and with whom??

The 200 N-m spec is per the VW service manual for the 2015 GTI. Nowhere in there is the 70 N-m spec mentioned, although I've heard this spec applied to other models.

Maybe you should attempt to grasp whatever it is you are reading, or at least read through the entire thread before throwing shit at others.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
there actually is a 70nm spec bolt for this application as well as the 200nm. I think it's 6 sided head, but I'm waiting for someone to confirm

Possible. An acquaintance of mine that I was consulting before replacing my bearings gave me the 70 N-m spec. However he was going off of memory. The VW parts catalog for my 2017 GTI, as well as the aforementioned service manual from 2015 is for a 12-point bolt. Whether the 70 N-m bolt is six sided or not I do not know. Only going off of what I know and have used in the past. The 12 point bolts that came with my car, as well as the ones that came with the bearing replacement are both 88.

CrushTon

I completed the job Saturday morning with relative ease.

The three videos originally linked by Navindralr were the best guide. I did consult the service manual for confirmations on torque specs but other than that the manual seemed to have unneccessary steps.

I started out ambitious with lots of pictures but as often happens my intentions of making a DIY fall second fiddle to wanting to complete the job.

To anyone doing this job in the future. Use the three videos linked previously and some common sense and this is an easy job with the right tools.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I completed the job Saturday morning with relative ease.

The three videos originally linked by Navindralr were the best guide. I did consult the service manual for confirmations on torque specs but other than that the manual seemed to have unneccessary steps.

I started out ambitious with lots of pictures but as often happens my intentions of making a DIY fall second fiddle to wanting to complete the job.

To anyone doing this job in the future. Use the three videos linked previously and some common sense and this is an easy job with the right tools.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'm glad it worked out fine. I hope the new bearing lasts.