GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid and Filter Change

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
2nd DSG change, first on them mk7. Last one was on my 2010 jetta tdi, same gearbox. Did that one via top-fill measure-refill.

Did the mk7 over the weekend via bottom fill method. Went smoothly with one minor laughable moment where i found my crush washer in my drain pan after already having brought it back to the ground (fell off while draining over-fill at temp). :| Easy fix, back up it goes to reinstall drain-plug with crush washer. Old fluid at 40k was same color as crudulus'

Also, for anyone curious, FCP euro has a decent kit that includes the vw/audi bottom fill adapter and fluid-transfer pump that threads to the liquimoly bottles (and presumably other brand bottles as well).
Reinstall snorkel, install bottom fill adapter, Attach the fluid transfer pump hose to the adapter and put the pump on the bottle of dsg fluid. The FTP made the fill process super quick (~1 min per bottle or less?).

I'll say i preferred the bottom-fill method since i had the tools for the job (ramps, jack, jackstands, fluid transfer pump, bottom fill tool, obd11 for temperature check of dsg fluid and the dsg adaptation). Top-fill worked fine when i wanted to do it curbside and needed to just get it done with minimal amounts of tools.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Has anyone done a 7.5 DSG yet?

I had mine up on a hoist a while ago, and noted a tunnel from the back of the tranny beside the drive and exhaust that might give access to the filter from under the car (the filter also looked like it was rolled on it's side rather than upright) rather than pulling the intake and battery...
If I interpreted what I saw right I guess no top fill method anymore, and a bottom fill tool becomes preferred.
Comments anyone?
E
Bumping this older thread. Anyone shave an update on the 7.5s? I wouldn’t think there’d be a difference but.....

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Just wanted to post my thanks to OP.

Did this today following the OEM method and everything went perfectly.

DubbinDude

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my first DSG service...quick summary to make sure I am correct in my thinking. Planning on doing the top fill method
1-Get the car off the ground level remove intake, battery
2-drain all fluid from the bottom and remove old filter
3-replace plug in the bottom
4-top fill slowly .1 liter more than I removed about 4.6-4.7 liters
5-install filter, battery, intake
6-start car (still level in the air) shift it through the gears and let it run to warm up
7-have a beer

Is that about it? Did I miss anything? Don't want to mess this up!

DAS_STIG

Banned
I would also add a "Having a beer" step to coincide with step 4. That one takes a while.

DubbinDude

Passed Driver's Ed
2nd DSG change, first on them mk7. Last one was on my 2010 jetta tdi, same gearbox. Did that one via top-fill measure-refill.

Did the mk7 over the weekend via bottom fill method. Went smoothly with one minor laughable moment where i found my crush washer in my drain pan after already having brought it back to the ground (fell off while draining over-fill at temp). :| Easy fix, back up it goes to reinstall drain-plug with crush washer. Old fluid at 40k was same color as crudulus'

Also, for anyone curious, FCP euro has a decent kit that includes the vw/audi bottom fill adapter and fluid-transfer pump that threads to the liquimoly bottles (and presumably other brand bottles as well).
Reinstall snorkel, install bottom fill adapter, Attach the fluid transfer pump hose to the adapter and put the pump on the bottle of dsg fluid. The FTP made the fill process super quick (~1 min per bottle or less?).

I'll say i preferred the bottom-fill method since i had the tools for the job (ramps, jack, jackstands, fluid transfer pump, bottom fill tool, obd11 for temperature check of dsg fluid and the dsg adaptation). Top-fill worked fine when i wanted to do it curbside and needed to just get it done with minimal amounts of tools.

Does not include filler any longer. I just ordered from them.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Going to be doing this soon. Top fill, measure and replace method. When getting the fluid, is there any difference between getting the Liqui Moly, Pentosin, or Genuine VW? One better than the other? Or just get the cheapest of the 3, since they all meet spec?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Going to be doing this soon. Top fill, measure and replace method. When getting the fluid, is there any difference between getting the Liqui Moly, Pentosin, or Genuine VW? One better than the other? Or just get the cheapest of the 3, since they all meet spec?
I use liqui molly and haven't had any issues. Also just did a friend mk5 with liqui moly and no issues there either

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I used the Motul DTC, again no issues from me, it meets spec. If you're partial to a brand buy theirs so you feel good. I doubt there's a bit range of quality, and for the price they better all be liquid gold!