GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI: left fog light condensation

mikkelz_za

Ready to race!
Hi there

Has anyone had issues with condensation in either of their front fog lights? I noticed some in my left front fog light a few days after it had rained, which I thought was weird. :confused:

It doesn't look great. :(

I am taking my car into the dealership next week to have it checked out, but just thought I'd find out if anyone else has had issues and what the problem may be.

TIA.

adam1991

Banned
USA 2017 owner's manual, page 145, right column, top paragraph:

"In cool or humid weather, the insides of the headlights, the rear lights, and turn signals can temporarily fog up. This is normal and does not affect the service life of the vehicle's lighting system."

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Turn them on. The heat (even LEDs produce some) should evaporate the water. You have summer right now so it may be and difference between day and night temperature/humidity plus the timing of heat cycles on the light assembly may result in getting more humid air in than expelled water vapors (light enclosures are not sealed, there's a breather hole to equalize pressure and the humid (or dry depending on conditions) air will get sucked in as they cool).

mikkelz_za

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure it's related to humidity, as it happens only when it rains (or I wash the car) i.e. it gets wet.

And it's only in the left one.

Anyway, let's see what VW says tomorrow.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Mine just did the same, and as title says just the left light and the bottom half of it as well. I've thought about putting clear flex seal around the black box and maybe putting Laminex on the clear lens, just to get maximum seal and protection.