GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
How when it’s raining, when I open my door, water runs off the roof and onto my seat.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
After owning my car for over a bit over a year now, I find the most annoying thing to be just how much performance overhead VW left on the cutting room floor.

This car feels like it could do so much more (which we all know it can when modded/tuned), but was hamstrung at the factory. On two separate occasions, I've tried to pull on two Chevy Equinox turbos to get over for an exit, and both times I got stuffed, and had to concede and get in behind them. It's not a huge deal, as my main goal is to get where I'm going, but it's kind of embarrassing to have to deal with smiling Equinox (and Kia, Hyundai, Dodge, Ford, etc.) owners nodding knowingly when I have to back off, beaming at the fact that they created hardship for a perennial C&D top-10'er known for it's fun-factor and performance characteristics. Sure, on a track or auto-x course, everything changes...but I don't drive to work on a track or auto-x course.

This really wasn't a problem in my Evo, as 90% of what was on the road just wasn't competitive, so I'm not really used to this. It's annoying that my options are to keep getting punked by more pedestrian vehicles, tune it and blow the warranty to hell, or go the JB4 route and scurry around like a rat in the dark pulling the gear out every time I have to visit the dealership service bay.

Why can't VW simply give us performance options that don't hinder warranty coverage, a la TRD, Nismo, etc.? Or bring the ClubSport or TCR over here?

I know the R is an option, and it was my original target, as it made more sense to me with a performance envelope closer to what I was used to with the Evo, and AWD. There just weren't any available when I needed one. Maybe the MK8s will offer another opportunity for me to get something with a little more road-going authority.

I LOVE my MK7 GTI, I just wish VW had seen fit to gift it with a little more gravitas than the general turbo-powered flotsam on the road...

In the 3 GTIs I've driven over 6 years I can't imagine never having them tuned with a basic stage 1. At the VERY least a JB4 is worth it....The amount of time you spend using the car is many times higher than the time spent at the dealer service dept (I would hope! If not you have a lemon).
Boggles me why people spend so much time and effort on other things with the stock power output. It's simply unacceptable. The rest of the car is almost perfect.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
In the 3 GTIs I've driven over 6 years I can't imagine never having them tuned with a basic stage 1. At the VERY least a JB4 is worth it....The amount of time you spend using the car is many times higher than the time spent at the dealer service dept (I would hope! If not you have a lemon).
Boggles me why people spend so much time and effort on other things with the stock power output. It's simply unacceptable. The rest of the car is almost perfect.

I agree with everything you said!

TheRealStanki

A bloody vibration/rattle from the driver's side door/dashboard.

Sounds like glass rattling. It is not:

- the sun roof
- the sun visor
- the glove compartment to the right (RHS drive) of the steering wheel
- I have hit and pushed against every trim piece possible on the A pillar/drivers door

I think I need to take the entire door trim piece off and check it out. I just hope it's not in the dash.

I would check A-pillar, window switch, and rubber seals in between the door and body. I had all three and all three have fixed which can be found in the forums...good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealStanki

Rattles. Rattles everywhere. Car is only a year old and I'm about ready to tear the a-pillars clean off. Attempted the popular a-pillar rattle fix this last weekend but decided to wait another week to see if I can learn a little more about the process before doing it.

I did this job multiple times...what finally fixed it was filling in any and all open space within the a-pillar itself with thick foam, covering all the edges in Tesa tape, and I also replaced both of the two-step clips and covered them in tesa tape....on the third time ripping the a-pillar out I wasn’t going to risk that damn rattle again lol

ibsev11

The infotainment screen is mounted too low, i have to really take my eyes off the road to see the next google maps direction. The new jetta has a better implementation with the higher-up screen, more inline with the driver's line of sight. More manufacturers are trending this way (the big screen/ipad look).

Also there is a bad rattle on the black plastic piece that connects the A pillar to the upper door trim piece... but it only appears on certain stretches of freeway so for now i'm dealing with it until car's next service appointment.

AND the top of the rear bumper, right along the hatch gets unbelievably dirty in no time when it's raining, it seems to pool all the dirt and keep it there.

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!

For me, it’s about the cost of a clutch upgrade. Being married with a baby on the way, I need to be cautious how much exposure I have once I tune.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
For me, it’s about the cost of a clutch upgrade. Being married with a baby on the way, I need to be cautious how much exposure I have once I tune.

Agreed. Compared to jap cars, clutch upgrades are ridiculously expensive. As much as I love banging through gears, dsg would have been a wiser and faster choice.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
How when it’s raining, when I open my door, water runs off the roof and onto my seat.

Same problem here, I thought it was because of my roof rack bracket but I guess not. I wish the rain channels in the roof where more aggressive, Volkswagen has never gotten this right, my mk3 gti and mk5 had the same problems [emoji2361]

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
The Mk7.5 GTI DSG appears to shift down at much lower rpm in D mode. Car sounds like its struggling with somewhat of a rattle from the box. Frequently have to manually change down. Previous MK7 was different. Probably VW trying to improve fuel efficiency figures.

I understand I can get a DSG tune but is it worth it?

Also cabin noise in my opinion is greater in the 7.5 compared to my previous Mk7. There can be a distinct whine in the 7.5's as I proved by driving various Mk7.5 versions

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I get the A-pillar rattle but its so tiny and only happens in the summer it seems like. Doesnt bother me.

the 12v next to the coin holder rattles a lot and can be rotated- not sure if thats supposed to be able to happen.

Radar detector rattles from the soundaktor but thats on me

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The Mk7.5 GTI DSG appears to shift down at much lower rpm in D mode. Car sounds like its struggling with somewhat of a rattle from the box. Frequently have to manually change down. Previous MK7 was different. Probably VW trying to improve fuel efficiency figures.

I understand I can get a DSG tune but is it worth it?

Also cabin noise in my opinion is greater in the 7.5 compared to my previous Mk7. There can be a distinct whine in the 7.5's as I proved by driving various Mk7.5 versions

The DSG tune is definitely worth it.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I did this job multiple times...what finally fixed it was filling in any and all open space within the a-pillar itself with thick foam, covering all the edges in Tesa tape, and I also replaced both of the two-step clips and covered them in tesa tape....on the third time ripping the a-pillar out I wasn’t going to risk that damn rattle again lol

I finally fixed the main rattle that was driving me crazy today. I thought it had been coming from the passenger side a pillar but when I had my girlfriend drive me around I found out it was coming from the center console. Removed this sliding plastic piece from inside and the rattle is gone! Very happy.