GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NGK Racing 9 plugs: $29 EA on RockAuto

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Has anyone done a back to back comparison, with datalogs, of these vs a normal plug?

I can't bring myself to pay $120+ for a set of plugs unless I can see that they actually increase the knock threshold.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Has anyone done a back to back comparison, with datalogs, of these vs a normal plug?

I can't bring myself to pay $120+ for a set of plugs unless I can see that they actually increase the knock threshold.

Agreed.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I run them now and the car feels much smoother at both idle and at the top of the RPM range. I am bigger turbo with more boost though.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but they are FAR better than the ER12s on my EQT (and for good reason, it's a colder plug). My idle/off-idle is buttery smooth, and I no longer experience miss/roughness at high RPM/MPH cruising.

I plan to test with the ER10s later on down the line and see how they fare compared to the NGK 9's.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Unless a sparkplug is fuel/oil fouling the heat range should not affect idle or misfire. The whole point of different heat range sparkplugs is to keep the plug in an acceptable temp range to prevent fouling or blistering from excessive heat. Different style sparkplugs on occasion can have a small impact on idle quality especially if everything is less than perfect in the combustion cycle. Ignition miss is likely due to a weak ignition system or excessive gap for an insufficient ignition system.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Unless a sparkplug is fuel/oil fouling the heat range should not affect idle or misfire. The whole point of different heat range sparkplugs is to keep the plug in an acceptable temp range to prevent fouling or blistering from excessive heat. Different style sparkplugs on occasion can have a small impact on idle quality especially if everything is less than perfect in the combustion cycle. Ignition miss is likely due to a weak ignition system or excessive gap for an insufficient ignition system.

This^

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Different style sparkplugs on occasion can have a small impact on idle quality especially if everything is less than perfect in the combustion cycle. Ignition miss is likely due to a weak ignition system or excessive gap for an insufficient ignition system.

Coils in these cars are plenty powerful. Big turbo cars running dense charges (ethanol and a lot of boost) do not have any issues with the stock coils at 700+hp.

If a given coil and plug can provide consistent ignition at 7000rpm at 30+psi of boost, it has no issue at idle.

The idle misfire issues common on these cars are either fuel or valve overlap. In most modern VVT cars, overlap is used in place of an EGR system to reduce emissions at idle and low rpm.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My idle remains the same regardless the plug I have installed......Great!

I've only noticed idle issues when the plugs were excessively worn.

There was a recall (or maybe just a TSB, can't remember) on the Rs to reflash for smoother idle. I don't know exactly what they changed in the idle programming, but it worked. It's not a hardware issue.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I've only noticed idle issues when the plugs were excessively worn.

There was a recall (or maybe just a TSB, can't remember) on the Rs to reflash for smoother idle. I don't know exactly what they changed in the idle programming, but it worked. It's not a hardware issue.

Yep! Tuning, fuel and plug neglect is likely the idle issues.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Coils in these cars are plenty powerful. Big turbo cars running dense charges (ethanol and a lot of boost) do not have any issues with the stock coils at 700+hp.

If a given coil and plug can provide consistent ignition at 7000rpm at 30+psi of boost, it has no issue at idle.

The idle misfire issues common on these cars are either fuel or valve overlap. In most modern VVT cars, overlap is used in place of an EGR system to reduce emissions at idle and low rpm.

Ignition coils can go bad on any engine. Coils can also be weak and not fully fire the mixture even if a misfire isn't detected. Lean mixtures often only partially ignite.