GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need new ecu..... help?

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
Well, I'll have a definitive answer for everyone in approximately 4 days.

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
So just to inform everyone, had to have the new (used one I bought off ebay) married to my car. Cost me $350.00 to have our done. Car runs, still have an EPC light, but nothing can clear it. Tried JB4, COBB, ODBeleven, code states that communication to ecm was lost. Car runs fine though. Will give an update down the road

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I checked the fuses... they were all fine. Are you talking about fuse SB3 or a different fuse?
I have not digged into the fuses myself yet so no personal experience but I think there is supposed to be a main power fuse for the ECM.

Navi

Autocross Champion
hm... well I checked all the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment and they were good. I couldn't tell if the relays went bad or not. Is that even possible? But if you find out there's another fuse, let me know lol. I couldn't find anything online regarding another ecm fuse besides the 15A one in the SB3 location.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
hm... well I checked all the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment and they were good. I couldn't tell if the relays went bad or not. Is that even possible? But if you find out there's another fuse, let me know lol. I couldn't find anything online regarding another ecm fuse besides the 15A one in the SB3 location.
Have you checked sb17? what happens when you turn the key now?

Navi

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure I checked that fuse, but I'll check again. The car does exactly what OP's car did. Nothing turns on. Power is still there, but engine won't crank. VCDS does not read engine module, but sees every other module. COBB does not connect to car because it can not find ECU. Car radiator fan comes on full speed when battery is connected regardless of if car is off or on. Only way to stop fan is to disconnect battery.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
How?? Positive to something metal on the chassis/engine and it fries ecu?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Mmkay...isn’t there plastic on the ecu, as in a cover? Trying to picture it..lol

On a diff note, never have I ever disconnected a battery to do spark plugs for 24yrs+ of working on my car. The rule developed over the years is the less I touch the less chances of it breaking or me causing damage.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Mmkay...isn’t there plastic on the ecu, as in a cover? Trying to picture it..lol

On a diff note, never have I ever disconnected a battery to do spark plugs for 24yrs+ of working on my car. The rule developed over the years is the less I touch the less chances of it breaking or me causing damage.

Yeah I didn't feel like explaining. I had just finished doing batteries and I noticed the battery terminal was a little loose so I was adjusting it and that's when things went to shit. And the plastic bracket normally DOES cover the ecu but the ecu can be mounted in two positions within that bracket. For some reason my ECU was in the first position which allows 1/4" of the metal on the ecu housing to protrude out from the plastic and that is where the ratchet touched it. Just my luck. No idea why my ecu was in that position bc I've never moved it before. I have pictures of the ECU in the two different positions but I'm too lazy to upload them.

Navi

Autocross Champion
fuck it, ill post the pics bc maybe it can help others avoid this in the future

this is how it was when I arced the battery and ecu:

and this is how it's supposed to be:

you can see the protruding ecu corner in the first image. That's the area I touched with the metal ratchet while it was on the battery.