GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs Organic Clutch with Stage one review

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Hi all,
I made a post before as I was thinking about going stage one but I was worried about clutch longevity. I'd looked on the forums but could only really see a number of posts on the golf r forums so I was left a little unsure but today I've taken the plunge so I thought I'd give a little run down for any 6MT GTI owners who are looking for a new clutch.

So I managed to get a cancellation with an APR dealership. So I took a bit of a risk and went for it.
Originally I'd read that the clutch was juddery to start with and that the pedal was heavier than stock. I was worried that the clutch would be awful and I would end up hating the car.

Anyway cut to the chase. I was told that I would need to 'bed' the clutch in with stop start driving for 500 miles before giving it beans (which is ridiculously tempting seen as I haven't been able to properly test the map yet :confused:).
Straight away when I pushed the clutch in, I realised that it was a lot heavier than I was expecting however once I set off the 'judder' was nothing like I imagined. I would probably describe it best as if you are going to stall and the car shakes a little before you do, however if you blip the revs a little more than you usually would this is practically non existent and I have be told it will settle down even more so once it has been bedded in.

The bite feels as though it is lower than stock, so as soon as you come up on the clutch it feels as though you have bit and are in gear a lot quicker than stock.
In reverse is probably the most difficulty I have had with it, the judder is probably most prominent here and the smell of clutch is there but same as before, if you apply plenty of revs you can avoid this.

I'm looking forward to the clutch being bedded fully in and being able to shed a bit more light on it and test my map fully!

Summary
Clutch is nowhere near as juddery as other posts seem to suggest.
The pedal is definitely heavier but not a deal breaker although I wouldn't like to be stuck in traffic with it just yet.
The bite is lower than stock but you soon get used to this.

I can imagine the above will all get better with more miles, will update if people are interested.

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Give it a few hundred miles and the pedal will soften up. My ttrs clutch was rediculus at first. Then I felt it starting to soften. Now it feels like it could be stock.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Damn. I just realised this should really be in the engine and tunes section on the forum.
Don't know if some admin can Chuck it over there?

Last edited:

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Give it a few hundred miles and the pedal will soften up. My ttrs clutch was rediculus at first. Then I felt it starting to soften. Now it feels like it could be stock.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Ahh nice man. I can't wait until it's all bedded in and I can enjoy it properly

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Update for anyone interested.
I've put 1500 miles on the new clutch now and it feels almost stock. I would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a clutch upgrade, from the things I'd read online I expected it to be quite a bit heavier but it's practically unnoticeable now.
Some of that could be to do with the fact I'm used to it now but it's definitely softened up with miles as I was told.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
If this is the Sachs SRE clutch, I have on in my 2015 GTI with an APR Stage one tune. I agree with everything reported by LJT94. 32,000 miles and going strong with the original dual mass flywheel.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Hello!
just got the same clutch fitted to my s3, wondering if you have any chatter on idle.
thanks!

I have the same Sachs SRE clutch. I have a bit of gear lash noise, but only in neutral at idle with the clutch pedal out. When you press the clutch pedal in, it goes away. I'm usually pretty annoyed by NVH, but the noise doesn't really bother me. I understand the reason it does this is because it's an unsprung disk...someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I've had the SRE Performance clutch for 30k miles. Really love it. Great compromise between the stock clutch and going full out 4 puck. Little grabby when first adjusting to it, but once you're use to it, it's perfect. I'm on is38 power levels with it, and it takes a beating day in, day out. Only thing that sucks is is38 power is pretty much it's limit. I would probably replace this clutch with the same one when it wears out. (hopefully around 100k lol)

prunaionut

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Was thinking the shop that installed the clutch didn’t install the new flywheel in.
I’m at stock power level for now but soon gonna get a remap.
Cheers!