GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A-pillar rattle/buzz... Finally fixed!

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I de-rattled my STI, and one trick I learned was to use Permatex gasket maker in a tube. It is basically a soft silicone, that doesn't stick very well. It fills gaps, makes a nice jelly pad, and if you ever need to take that area apart it is no problem.

Hockey

Ready to race!
Thank you for this! Been hearing this sound since I had the car but couldn't find the source.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
OK, so in my case I don't think this is the problem. At least not yet. I got the trim and pieces off (nice instructions btw) and taped up the hole and taped some padding in. Then just as I snapped the a pillar trim in I realized "oh I should have gone for a drive with everything disassembled FIRST". DUH.

So I tried it before putting the last two plastic bits back. It's still fucking there. Really pissing me off. Now it's too dark and I'm too annoyed to take all the trim back off. But tomorrow I'll take it back off and then drive and see what's what. If it's still doing it then, then I'll know that's not it.

Why must I be so stupid?

MK7Boostedbliss

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, so in my case I don't think this is the problem. At least not yet. I got the trim and pieces off (nice instructions btw) and taped up the hole and taped some padding in. Then just as I snapped the a pillar trim in I realized "oh I should have gone for a drive with everything disassembled FIRST". DUH.

So I tried it before putting the last two plastic bits back. It's still fucking there. Really pissing me off. Now it's too dark and I'm too annoyed to take all the trim back off. But tomorrow I'll take it back off and then drive and see what's what. If it's still doing it then, then I'll know that's not it.

Why must I be so stupid?

Lol u are only stupid if u don’t learn from your mistakes!

I took my mk5 door apart too many times to count trying to find a noise. Drove with door skin off, door panel off, countless dynamat, felt tape shown here. I never found that noise. Even had the door skin replaced. Still made the noise. You win some you lose some!

Let us know what you find! I’m pretty sure my car has the right a-pillar noise I noticed when the radio it cranking! I’ll horse around this weekend.

BMW also uses this Felt tape but let’s just say trust me when I say that amazon link is WAY cheaper....

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I de-rattled my STI, and one trick I learned was to use Permatex gasket maker in a tube. It is basically a soft silicone, that doesn't stick very well. It fills gaps, makes a nice jelly pad, and if you ever need to take that area apart it is no problem.

Nice! Good tip. I may want to use that elsewhere.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Bump. Earlier I took the a pillar trim all off again and drove around. Noise is exactly the same and now that I know not to think it's over there, it seems like the upper b pillar / headliner area is where it's coming from. I took a long drive and reproduced it many times (which is fun because I've got stage 1 and installed a sigma short shift since this started) via acceleration, deceleration, deliberately driving the right side over the raised lane reflector bumps at various speeds, etc. Noise does not seem to change location. Upper b pillar.

Now that cover is off and I checked for loose things. Only the seat belt pivot bolt and its holdings are at all loose and its probably exactly like it should be. Gotta go drive to know.

I hope I don't end up like the one guy who poured a shit load of wood glue into the frame to stop his issue. That seems extreme. His noise was much different though. I dunno... This one tiny thing is distracting me so much. Grrrgggghhhh *heart attack*

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a buzzing a pillar aswell. Anyone else have any more tips for fixing this? It is most noticeable when the stereo is turned up. This means I can't enjoy my music.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have a buzzing a pillar aswell. Anyone else have any more tips for fixing this? It is most noticeable when the stereo is turned up. This means I can't enjoy my music.

Have you read this thread? It’s not a huge one. I posted about my dealership experience w pics. Issue has not returned.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I tried this fix today with no luck. My sounds is almost identical to the video as well.

I could not get the base of the A-Pillar separated from where it meets the dash. I had it to where all 3 clips were free and clear, but I couldn't get the base to pull free.
I also could not get the small plastic pillar that separates the small window from the main to remove.

So I taped as much as I could but I couldn't get tape around the pin or where the A pillar meets the dash since I could not remove either.

Anyone have tips for completely removing the A pillar once all 3 clips are disengaged? And also removing the small pillar that hold the pin that OP taped under?

I only got it half done and the buzzing is still there. :mad:

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I tried this fix today with no luck. My sounds is almost identical to the video as well.

Did OP only take apart the drivers side A-pillar?
Mine sounds like its coming from the passenger side pillar but I took that all apart and taped as much as I could but the sound is still there. :mad:

I did both pillars. I used some small pieces of leftover sound insulation I had, not tape, so I'm not sure if tape is really going to fix this issue.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I did both pillars. I used some small pieces of leftover sound insulation I had, not tape, so I'm not sure if tape is really going to fix this issue.

Gotcha. I just edited my original comment. I just couldn't get the A pillar removed where it meets the dash. The 3 clips were disengaged but the A pillar was just "hanging" still connected to the dash. And I could not remove the small pillar piece that holds the pin either.

Any tips for removing the A pillar completely once the clips are disengaged as well as the trim piece that holds the pin? I may have another go...

Thanks!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Gotcha. I just edited my original comment. I just couldn't get the A pillar removed where it meets the dash. The 3 clips were disengaged but the A pillar was just "hanging" still connected to the dash. And I could not remove the small pillar piece that holds the pin either.

Any tips for removing the A pillar completely once the clips are disengaged as well as the trim piece that holds the pin? I may have another go...

Thanks!

You just have to bend it a bit and pull it out. It will come out. As long as those Christmas tree shaped clips are out there's nothing physically connecting the trim piece to the car, its just slid down in there.

The other trim piece you just need to pull the pin and you can get it out if I recall correctly, but it's been a long time.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
You just have to bend it a bit and pull it out. It will come out. As long as those Christmas tree shaped clips are out there's nothing physically connecting the trim piece to the car, its just slid down in there.

The other trim piece you just need to pull the pin and you can get it out if I recall correctly, but it's been a long time.

Okay thanks, I'm gonna give it another go this weekend. Might need to buy some new clips..