GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can replacement seatbelts be recoded?

Curmudgeon

Hi, newbie here, I've very recently bought 2015 GTD, knowing full well that it has been in a shunt and repaired. Every time the car is started we get a message up saying that the active passenger protection system in inoperative. A simple code read has told us that neither seatbelt pretensioners are configured to the car. It would seem that the originals were deployed in the shunt and second hand belts have been fitted. Can anyone say for certain if belts that have been coded in one car can be wiped (so to speak) and recoded in a second car? TIA.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I would think seatbelts are passive restraints as they're just a mechanical lock. Active to me sounds like airbag.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi, newbie here, I've very recently bought 2015 GTD, knowing full well that it has been in a shunt and repaired. Every time the car is started we get a message up saying that the active passenger protection system in inoperative. A simple code read has told us that neither seatbelt pretensioners are configured to the car. It would seem that the originals were deployed in the shunt and second hand belts have been fitted. Can anyone say for certain if belts that have been coded in one car can be wiped (so to speak) and recoded in a second car? TIA.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/AirbagVW20

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I would think seatbelts are passive restraints as they're just a mechanical lock. Active to me sounds like airbag.

A lot of newer cars (both my '03 mini and '04 m3) have active seatbelts. Basically, a small explosive charge that when activated in a crash, will tighten the seatbelt so that you're in the right position for the airbags to go off.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-...-regulatory-devices/seatbelt-pretensioner.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phdJWRi_vw

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/seatbelt4.htm

If they weren't replaced when repairing the car after the crash, they very well could and would throw codes.

I believe second hand pretensioners can be coded to a different car. VCDS probably, not sure about OBD11

Curmudgeon

Thanks for the answers folks, It's definitely the seatbelts, they have built in pretensioners. There are codes present in both belts that cannot be cleared. I'm 99% certain that the belts were replaced during the repair as they had deployed during the accident.
The codes are:
B130455 Left front seat belt tensioner control module not configured.
B130555 Right front seat belt tensioner control module not configured.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the answers folks, It's definitely the seatbelts, they have built in pretensioners. There are codes present in both belts that cannot be cleared. I'm 99% certain that the belts were replaced during the repair as they had deployed during the accident.
The codes are:
B130455 Left front seat belt tensioner control module not configured.
B130555 Right front seat belt tensioner control module not configured.

See above, I changed my post a few minutes ago once I re-read your OP.

Curmudgeon

Can't say that I've done it myself, but it certainly seems that way yes :)
Fantastic, thanks for the help. I did actually find that page the other night, a few days before I posted on here, but it was the mention of new components that made me think they meant brand new, however now I've reread it (about 6 times!) It does appear to me that they're saying that the airbag module has to be configured online by VW (ODIS?) But the rest, airbags themselves, pretensioners, seat occupation sensors etc can be reset under adaptation.
Is that how you're reading it?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Fantastic, thanks for the help. I did actually find that page the other night, a few days before I posted on here, but it was the mention of new components that made me think they meant brand new, however now I've reread it (about 6 times!) It does appear to me that they're saying that the airbag module has to be configured online by VW (ODIS?) But the rest, airbags themselves, pretensioners, seat occupation sensors etc can be reset under adaptation.
Is that how you're reading it?

I believe so, yes. I can't categorically confirm it, but I think so.

You could post on the Ross Tech forum Pre Sales section to have your questions answered before you commit to buying. They're a helpful bunch.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im thoroughly impressed by this technology. I formally retract my statement above and once again show my ignorance. Thank you for the education and best of luck with the fix.