GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne DSG Tune vs Cobb EQT DSG Tune vs Cobb 5150 DSG Tune

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hmmmm I was under the impression I could download the R maps from Cobb. I have an AP3-VLK-001. This is not so good news if it is entirely true. :(

That’s a Mk6 AP. Won’t work.

— Ed

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
Hmmmm I was under the impression I could download the R maps from Cobb. I have an AP3-VLK-001. This is not so good news if it is entirely true. :(

Pretty sure that's for the MK6 GTI.

Hit up ItalynStylion on here, he is selling a brand new one for the R, with DSG unlock.

It come with one ECU tune (Check with Ed on this, it was a sale order), and you would also have access to all Cobb OTS stuff. Or pay $100 more for EQT's DSG tune.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Ahhh... Just called Cobb and the above is correct. To get it to work with my R, I need to send it (in my case bring it) in for a $150 fee to have the product code changed and reloaded with new maps. A little frustrating because I bought it for the GTI with the intention of moving it to an R eventually. I thought the "just download new maps" aspect was referring to the car installed or, if uninstalled, the new car. I thought they were 675 across the board and the product number just signified what maps came preloaded for easier installation. Makes sense why they are different but a little annoying. Since hearing this news I may just sell it and go with an APR tune, no benefit anymore "moving it to my new car" (based on my lack of knowledge at the time)
Anyways thanks for clearing that up guys, much appreciated!

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
Ahhh... Just called Cobb and the above is correct. To get it to work with my R, I need to send it (in my case bring it) in for a $150 fee to have the product code changed and reloaded with new maps. A little frustrating because I bought it for the GTI with the intention of moving it to an R eventually. I thought the "just download new maps" aspect was referring to the car installed or, if uninstalled, the new car. I thought they were 675 across the board and the product number just signified what maps came preloaded for easier installation. Makes sense why they are different but a little annoying. Since hearing this news I may just sell it and go with an APR tune, no benefit anymore "moving it to my new car" (based on my lack of knowledge at the time)
Anyways thanks for clearing that up guys, much appreciated!

I’m actually surprised by this, and I think $150 to have it compatible with a new car is great. The great thing about Cobb is that the device has the tunes, which ensures it is always worth something. Like you said, at least you have something you can sell for $400-$500.
Eurodyne on the other hand, while not a bad tune, hold zero value. My credits are forever locked to my ECU/TCU, so I can’t recoup any money when switching to a new platform. My PowerTap cable is worth something, but it’s probably only $40 or so.
I’m not familiar with APR tunes, but aren’t they locked to the car as well?
Another benefit of Cobb is that you can get pro-tunes on it. Great option if the tune you have isn’t quite what you hoped for (APR). Or, if you make upgrades and need to update the tune…easier with Cobb/Pro-tune.
$150 gets you every cobb OTS tune (for ECU) – option to pro-tune- holds $450’ish in device value.
Hope this helps! I thought I researched my tune options well before I purchased ED, which I read just a little bit more.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I’m actually surprised by this, and I think $150 to have it compatible with a new car is great. The great thing about Cobb is that the device has the tunes, which ensures it is always worth something. Like you said, at least you have something you can sell for $400-$500.
Eurodyne on the other hand, while not a bad tune, hold zero value. My credits are forever locked to my ECU/TCU, so I can’t recoup any money when switching to a new platform. My PowerTap cable is worth something, but it’s probably only $40 or so.
Another benefit of Cobb is that you can get pro-tunes on it. Great option if the tune you have isn’t quite what you hoped for (APR). Or, if you make upgrades and need to update the tune…easier with Cobb/Pro-tune.
$150 gets you every cobb OTS tune (for ECU) – option to pro-tune- holds $450’ish in device value.
Hope this helps! I thought I researched my tune options well before I purchased ED, which I read just a little bit more.

You've got a point, thanks for the helpful perspective! I guess it was just my perception that I need to just get over. $150 is not that bad, its going to sting when I put the cash down because I'll add the DSG tune to it too so, $550 total, but like you said, the unit holds value so that a good way to look at it! Thanks again!

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Pic for no reason...LOL

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Exactly. That’s the nice thing about Cobb. Flash yourself, flash back to stock yourself if needed. Holds value when you’re done with it.

— Ed

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This has not been my experience with the Eurodyne tune. I found that the DSG shifts at a lower RPM then "stock" sport mode did, and shift points are more dependent on accelerator input then just RPM. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Said another way it is less aggressive in sport mode then stock if you are just tooling around town.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It sounds like the Cobb tune is excellent and I have no experience with it. However, when the statement made concerning Eurodyne sport mode is so counter to my experience it leads me to question the rest of review. Let me know if I misunderstand your explanation. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am quite happy with the Eurodyne DSG tune; not sure if that is based on its function as the only thing I have to compare it to is the stock DSG tune. I detested the stock shift points of DSG being too economy in drive mode of shifting too quickly (at a lower RPM) and stock sport mode being too aggressive (not shifting until higher RPM then I would like).
[/FONT]

Curious that yours is more dependent on accelerator input. I guess you mean only in Sport, right? My Eurodyne Stg2 DSG tune shifts like clockwork at 2500rpm in Drive unless I am super deep into the pedal, nearly WOT. 6th gear comes at 62mph every time. I find myself tapping the downshift paddle quite often in slow and go or making a turn when in Drive.

Sport is better except for the minimum shift point of 3k. It holds revs higher than 3k when giving 30-50% partial throttle unlike Drive.

Due to the inadequacies present in both Drive and Sport with Eurodyne, you must use a mix of D, S, and manual for the car to drive like you'd shift a manual.

All of this I can deal with, makes driving more engaging LOL! I think the biggest issue of all that I have with Eurodyne is lazy shifts under partial throttle. If I am in Sport I want a snappy shift. What ends up happening is that I am pedaling second gear for traction, and since I am not WOT, the shift is slow and all the boost falls off. It's somewhat maddening and can only be fixed by using manual and flooring it in second just before a shift, usually breaking traction in the process.

Last edited:

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I just jumped on board and replaced my Eurodyne Stage 2 DSG tune with EQT's. Will see how it drives!

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!

I’ve had a little over a week to get a feel for the tune and it feels solid. Great improvement over my Eurodyne DSG tune which made the car feel lazy in D mode (my wife referred to the car as feeling very heavy). The EQT DSG tune makes the car feel significantly lighter on its feet without spending unreasonable amounts of time in the upper RPM range, really ideal for daily driving on the street and highway. I haven’t spent as much time in S but it feels solid as well and importantly it will rev to 7k under WOT while my Eurodyne tune short shifted around 6400 or so (this was with the Eurodyne Stage 2 big turbo DSG tune).

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Finally got to do some moderate mountain roads yesterday. The EQT Turbo + EQT DSG tune combo is outstanding in sport mode. Even on just 91 octane it's a rocket ship out of the turns. Boost is on tap and just pulls :D