GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buttonwillow 1CW Video - Golf R

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Really smooth driving.

Watching you drive makes me think I may be overdriving my GTi.

My tires are wailing through corners.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Really smooth driving.

Could be. I am fairly gentle on my tires and brakes and probably drive at 8/10ths most of the time. Although, I am driving at pretty high slip angles through Cotton Corners and Grapevine. My tire choices and suspension set-up give me a lot of mechanical grip, more than you are likely to see with PSS/PS4S tires. Have you thought about moving to a 200tw tire?

Attachments

• brp-track-map-race-01.jpg
    brp-track-map-race-01.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 267

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I was out at Buttonwillow last weekend with the Audi Club. We ran the 1CW configuration on Saturday and Sunday, and 1CCW on Friday. Here are a couple of laps from my last session on Saturday in the X instructor group. My passenger was a newly minted instructor who recently bought a '16 Golf R and who after his ride-along began to formulate a shopping list for his car :D The first lap was my best of the weekend while the second was slowed when I had to give a GT4 Clubsport and a Viper a point-by near the end.

Same reply as on Vortex...Really nice driving. Seems like a HP-wins track.

Keep posting so it gets us northerners through the winter!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Really smooth driving.

As did mine. A Neuspeed rear sway made all the difference in the world. My pre-swaybar track videos sound like horror movies with the screaming tires. I was fighting my R through every turn. One solution would be to go much slower, but where is the fun in that? ;>) Now the car is very neutral with lots of grip. I'm using PS4S's, so tires are similar to yours.

I eventually added camber plates to save front tires. Sway was one of the best investments I made for track/street use. Turned up the fun factor significantly.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
As did mine. A Neuspeed rear sway made all the difference in the world. My pre-swaybar track videos sound like horror movies with the screaming tires. I was fighting my R through every turn. One solution would be to go much slower, but where is the fun in that? ;>) Now the car is very neutral with lots of grip. I'm using PS4S's, so tires are similar to yours.

I eventually added camber plates to save front tires. Sway was one of the best investments I made for track/street use. Turned up the fun factor significantly.

Just installed new 235-40-18 MPS4s. With SuperPro front Control arms and fixed 034 Motorsports fixed camber plates. Was hoping for more front end bite from the additional camber. I think that helped but the loss of the tread width to eliminate rubbing of the 245 width Michelin and the SuperPro control negated any improvement.

I believe a rear sway bar is in my future.

stoked_on_spool

Passed Driver's Ed
Cliff,

This is Bret! You certainly have hooked me on mods and tires...

I just Protuned my car with the COBB AP, very conservative tq and only 23 psi, but WOW what a night-and-day difference! I'm researching TCU and Haldex tunes still, but I do plan on having camber plates and track wheels/tires before the next Audi event in April.

I'll still be 95% street driven, and do probably 10 days on track next year, so I'm looking for more compliant camber plates. How's everyone liking the 034 Dynamic+ plates? Having the fixed plates seems advantageous from the NVH side of things, and I've seen people get -2.5 or more camber out of them too so that should be pretty good for my needs, I'd think?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Hi Bret,

I've been on the Ground Control camber plates for 3 years and they are fine. My car is daily driven and if they add any NVH I have long since tuned it out. I get 2.4 degrees of camber out of the plates, and the 2.5" diameter springs on my car are likely the limiting factor. The posts I recall seeing from people using the 034 camber mounts are more like 2 degrees.

I did have to raise the front of the car 3/8" this past week accompanied by a fresh corner balance and alignment. I was out at Willow Springs a couple of weeks ago and my ride height sensors were throwing faults during my second session. When this happens DCC shuts itself off, traction control turns itself all the way on, and the car's handling instantly goes to sh_t. When Ground Control installed the suspension a few years ago they set the ride height to the lowest the struts would tolerate. Apparently the ride height sensors are less tolerant and Big Willow has one of the crappier surfaces around. I've been seeing headlight faults out on track for the last couple of years and now I know the root cause of those.

Address 14: Susp. Elect. (J250) Labels: 5Q0-907-376.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 376 HW: 5Q0 907 376
Component: DAEMPFUNGS-SG H16 0115
Serial number: 20121441350078
ASAM Dataset: EV_DRCONTITEMIC 001019
ROD: EV_DRCONTITEMIC_VW37.rod
VCID: 76CD1D7FC9AD0EFAFF-8023

3 Faults Found:
835328 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!)
P1624 00 [008] - -
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 110
Mileage: 59986 km
Date: 2018.12.08
Time: 10:48:50

198659 - Front Left Ride-Height Sensor
C1034 07 [008] - Mechanical Failure
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 59986 km
Date: 2018.12.08
Time: 10:48:50

452867 - Front Right Ride-Height Sensor
C1035 07 [008] - Mechanical Failure
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 29
Mileage: 55008 km
Date: 2018.08.18
Time: 09:34:47

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I'll be out at Buttonwillow the weekend after next for 3 days with the Audi club. We're doing 1CCW on Friday, and 13CCW (the typical time trial configuration) for the school. Jeff and Bret, I'll be in garage 1 for the weekend so you can find me there. That's the first garage at the west end of Slow Lane. I'll be sharing the garage with 4 other cars on Saturday and Sunday so the garage and surrounding paved apron is spoken for but you're welcome to park on the street close to the garage.

stoked_on_spool

Passed Driver's Ed
Cliff I will see you for Sat and Sun. I typically park with the Vogels and Zeke (M-Coupes) but last year if I remember right the Vogels were on their own with their race cars and I parked next to Zeke which was right across from the Tent.

I've got beers and a little cooler ready to go and I'll see you in a few days! I have a GoPro finally so I'll see about recording some video too.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Sounds good, Bret. Yes, Zeke and PJ usually park at the other end of the garages. I think Bill and Erin set up shop in one of the new garages last year, but she was doing some nighttime driving as prep for the Thunderhill 25 and that might have affected things.