GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian car - very long period between manufacture and registration

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Hello guys from Canada, maybe you could help me out. I'd like to buy a VW Golf TSI which was originally sold and registered in Canada. The car seems to be the Trendline version - the lowest trim. The thing is, there are about 2 years (!) between the manufacturing date (mid 2014) and first registration (mid 2016). In your opinion, is this situation possible with canadian dealers or is something fishy with the car's history ? Any clues I should be looking for ? Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Hello guys from Canada, maybe you could help me out. I'd like to buy a VW Golf TSI which was originally sold and registered in Canada. The car seems to be the Trendline version - the lowest trim. The thing is, there are about 2 years (!) between the manufacturing date (mid 2014) and first registration (mid 2016). In your opinion, is this situation possible with canadian dealers or is something fishy with the car's history ? Any clues I should be looking for ? Thanks for the info.

It is possible, just did a quick search on cars.com and autotrader.ca and there are still 2017 golf's lingering around... meaning they could be manufactured in 2016 making them 2 year old cars at this point and being in the same situation as you mention (e.g MY2017 golf is manufactured on 11/2016, and is only sold and registered today which would be 11/2018...)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Hi George, there's actually a big difference between the provinces, with one province in particular being riskier than the others. Can you advise which province the car came from?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
BC is riskier in the winter because we all don’t know how to drive in snow.

But we can play golf all year round :)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
BC is riskier in the winter because we all don’t know how to drive in snow.

But we can play golf all year round :)

Haha. No, I mean one province in particular doesn't require odo readings, rebuild/flood registrations, etc.

And I play golf on my local simulator year round, just fine, thank you very much!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Haha. No, I mean one province in particular doesn't require odo readings, rebuild/flood registrations, etc.

And I play golf on my local simulator year round, just fine, thank you very much!

It was partially a joke LOL. BC drivers don’t equate snow to slower speed.

Nice would be a dream to play Sawgrass or Bethpage, simulated or not.