GOLFMKV

Skid plate installed today

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
OP,
If you are happy with it then enjoy.
Congrats on mod. What's next!
Thanks and sorry for starting a war lol

Next is my vwr lowering springs that are sitting on my tool box lol just have to find time and my rallyaromor mud flaps that are in the mail...and taking forever to get here do to Canada post rotating strike.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
This would be good enough for me!

They are heavier and have you seen what plastic skids look like after just few winters, they loose shape and just hand and its something that I have seen on many cars not to say the vw one is not well build but it will loose its shape eventually.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
They are heavier and have you seen what plastic skids look like after just few winters, they loose shape and just hand and its something that I have seen on many cars not to say the vw one is not well build but it will loose its shape eventually.

Wrong..its NOT plain plastic like the standard fit THIN AERO trays...

its GRP...& after four cold winters..& loads of salt/grit etc..& hot summers its fine...

I wish people would understand materials better....

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
Wrong..its NOT plain plastic like the standard fit THIN AERO trays...

its GRP...& after four cold winters..& loads of salt/grit etc..& hot summers its fine...

I wish people would understand materials better....
Either way both are intended for the same reason to protect bottom of ur car, but I'm not going to pay almost double the price form vw since end result is same.

I'll be more careful what I post next as my modifications cos it looks like lots of ppl get offended and try to push their way of modifications on others.

Ppl's opinions are welcome always but not appreciated when turned in to negative objections.

State reasons based on experience not assumptions, keeping in mind not all experiences are same but will be noted.

Thanks

Now let's move on to something different cos this is getting old.

Have a good day [emoji16]

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Everyone who posted did so based on experience with the exception of you, there was no “war” just several people sharing their knowledge.

Sorry if Dave and I offended you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Either way both are intended for the same reason to protect bottom of ur car, but I'm not going to pay almost double the price form vw since end result is same.

I'll be more careful what I post next as my modifications cos it looks like lots of ppl get offended and try to push their way of modifications on others.

Ppl's opinions are welcome always but not appreciated when turned in to negative objections.

State reasons based on experience not assumptions, keeping in mind not all experiences are same but will be noted.

Thanks

Now let's move on to something different cos this is getting old.

Have a good day [emoji16]

That alu skid plate does not fit 100%..has two huge scoops which will collect snow/grud etc & are where the OEM skid plate joins onto the front crash bar via brackets...

By not having front brackets that skid tray will be pushed up into the oil pan as it's only relying on the much weaker thin plastic wheel arch liners & front bumper lip for support....the OEM version bolts to the front structural crash bar...so no upward flex into the oil pan if you hit something....

""but I'm not going to pay almost double the price form vw since end result is same."".…....totally different end results as two totally different designed products...

ECS reduced the cost of the Alu one all because of my thread & everyone was ordering the OEM version from Europe...

Then the NAR alltrack & Passat had them fitted so people in Canada & USA could then order the same OEM skid trays from the dealers & various USA parts places instead of Europe....

heres FCP Euro reviewing the OEM alltrack kit:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTygOGZll8M

& the only other good alu skid plate kit which has front brackets:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6im0-4cx0

the alu one above is by Evolution Import...$285....way better fit than the ECS one...but note the downsides in the video compared to the OEM one..
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-skid-plate-kit-evolution-import-a3015

One thing he states in the video is that the centre section of the OEM one has carbon Kevlar weave in it...I had suspected (but never stated as could not prove 100%) this due to the look of the embedded weave you can se when you look at the engine side of the tray...

Personally I don't care what you fit to your car, but implying the OEM product is worse & yours is better when in actual fact its the other way around..really??...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This would be good enough for me!

The same weight can be supported by balsa wood but I do not want a floor pan out of it. Weight support is a matter of structure not only strength.
You guys win, it is likely the best option but everyone does not have to buy it.
People have a choice. Present the info and let them decide.
If it is a bad choice they may find out but I hope they never hit something hard enough to find out.

Keep sharing info as many benefit.

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
The same weight can be supported by balsa wood but I do not want a floor pan out of it. Weight support is a matter of structure not only strength.
You guys win, it is likely the best option but everyone does not have to buy it.
People have a choice. Present the info and let them decide.
If it is a bad choice they may find out but I hope they never hit something hard enough to find out.

Keep sharing info as many benefit.
At least there is one person with common sense...many choices to choose from and it is what it is but I think main reason ppl like to argue is in the name, it should be called lower deflection shield not skid plate.

Anyhow have a good one.