GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I?

big residual

Passed Driver's Ed
Go drive an RS3 or TTRS. Both are MQB based like the R and the 2.5 and its exhaust note are awesome. I have tuned R that does 380 whp, and I have a TTRS—the TTRS is more fun to drive stock... but the R is more versatile and still an awesome car. I had an RS3 for a bit—I liked it less than the TTRS. Less headroom bc of the sunroof, lesser interior. Someone mentioned TTRS depreciation—in the US they’re holding 55% at 3 years; a good 8J can get high 30s low 40s 5 and 6 years later. Mk7 Rs are doing well here too per kbb.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I love my R, but my next car, I really want a two-door, two seater or 2+2; a sedan would be ok, as long as it's small. I hate big cars. I've had a lot of hatchbacks and souped-up economy cars in my time, and I think I'd like to check out something with more flair and luxury bits and pieces. I'm not really that concerned about power--hell, I can't use all the stock R I have puts out--but no way am I going to have RWD up here in frozen Yankeeland. That makes one of the TTs look pretty cool, especially as the '19 models will actually get some decent active safety stuff like forward collision mitigation it seems. I love the size and cockpit of the TT; my other options would be something like a 2-series (love the coupe look and size) or, if I could tolerate the size, an A5 or 440 coupe maybe.

I wish I could have my dream setup though. That would be something like an AMG sedan for year-round and a Porsche for the summer....

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I'd love an RS3 or TTRS for the engine/performance/exhaust note. The trouble here in Australia is the prices.

People getting new Grid Edition R with full options (DSG, DA and sunroof) sub $50k.
The RS3 sedan you're looking at around double that and TTRS is around $150k.

I have a Stage 2 HO MK7R and the performance is perfection for me and still have saved 40K on what RS3 would cost.

I do love the AUDI features, interior much more and wife has S3 sedan FL edition and I enjoy being inside that much more but IMO both S3/R lacking performance stock. Not that they are bad or slow but comparing to my car (which isn't fair at all)

So I'd say if you can get TTRS/RS3 at decent price then that would also be my suggestion. I'm planning on keeping my car long term and updating wife's every 3 years. In future I'll either get myself RS3 or buy out wife's S3 after lease and go straight to stage 2 immediately.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
i have a 17 TT and its great fun, highly recommended [JB4,MSS KIT,STOPTECH,NEUSPEED,MICHELINS]

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally get your dilemma. They are both great cars, and quite complementary. I would have a very hard time choosing just one.

I don't envy your decision.

Attachments

• DD4369F1-DA6F-4B11-AAC3-8F330248E8B5.jpeg
    DD4369F1-DA6F-4B11-AAC3-8F330248E8B5.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 185

B5AudiS4

Both are amazing cars. Most people wouldn’t consider cross shopping the two, so you and I may be in the minority. I’d go for the Vette if you’re going to keep it mint (garage car) and only take out for stints on the weekend. It definitely feels larger and less “tossable” than any Golf as it’s a modern Batmobile. If you’ll be daily driving sometimes, ever want to carry people or stuff and fly under the radar - the ‘18 Golf R is for you.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
'Vettes aren't my thing, but man, they are gorgeous looking But yeah, "under the radar" and "Corvette" are things no one ever puts together in the same sentence.