GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does your GTI burn oil?

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
My 2018 GTI SE 6MT has 4700 miles. I changed at 2K miles. Over the past 1700, have not seen it go down noticeably (seems to stay nice and clean, too).

Coming from BMWs, I am really grateful to have a dip-stick again (my last dip stick was in a 2001 Integra GSR).

Also worth mentioning, previous car was a 2011 BMW 328i (E91 / wagon) that I owned from new to 125K miles. The BMW OCI was 30K KM (16K miles). I changed every 7500 miles (w/ Castrol Professional PowerFlow 0W30 [Group IV PAO]. I never once had to add oil. After 100K, the dealer tried to convince me to use a heavy weight oil to reduce oil consumption. When I told dealer SA that my car did not use oil, he refused to believe me (probably because all the people following the 16K mile OCI were coming in for top offs).

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
None on any of my MK7s

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Where exactly on the oil dipstick does "a couple of drops" measure? I mean really, why even comment if you are using a descriptor that can't ever be measured.

And if it's a vague, general statement, then how much is a "couple of drops" equivalent to in real speak?

There are various measurements of a drop. The largest are 10 drops per ml. And the smallest are 60 drops per ml.

biGTIme

First oil change at 3k. Now at 10k with no signs of oil burning. 2017 GTI 0w40 Mobil 1.

I wouldn't be concerned if it burnt half a quart in 10k miles... Anything more, I might lose a few minutes of sleep.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Dredging old thread but from 15k- 90k miles I've noticed gti driven pretty hard, burn about a quart between 5k mile oil changes, usually just add some at 2500 miles. Was curious about others

1/4 qt every 1250 miles. Liqui moly 5w-40
Considering switching to Amsoil European full synthetic meets VW502.00 VW505.00

Projectfarm has done extensive independent testing on his YouTube channel and it was quite impressive to see synthetic oils march madness show down, Amsoil won.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
18 SE PP all bolt on mods, IS38 and tuned and no oil burning at 50,000 miles.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
18 SE PP all bolt on mods, IS38 and tuned and no oil burning at 50,000 miles.

At 50K you've burned ALOT of oil. Albeit highly refined, mid aromatic cut, with a tad of iso-octane added :D.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Ok so I've seen that oil leaks are common. Valve cover, timing chain cover, RMS missing 2/8 bolts... Where else to look?
Not seeing oil spots where I park

I had a Volvo burning 2 quarts every 500 and it was all over the back of the car, black soot. I don't see that

Like when ricers punch it on the highway and the plumes come out the exhaust. I never have anything like that.

Maybe few drops of oil in my catch can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk