GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 Strut Mounts - Not Impressed

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
The 034’s weren’t making any noises or giving me any grief but this is what I found during a recent suspension change. This was on one side. The other was fine.

I am back to stock and not having any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Yikes, what would cause that?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have a 17R with DCC...

So I just did a 034 lowering springs with replacement 034 density line shock mounts.

Did a Google search to see if anyone else had the same issues. Found this thread and figured I'd report in with the same rattle/knock over small quick or harsh bumps.

Guess I'll just have to get the OEM mounts if I can't figure out the knock/rattle.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
After further research and such I've found that my best option moving forward is to go with something that offers some negative camber since I'm getting understeer worse then my old Hondas. If I'm going to replace the strut mounts for the rattle I'm at least going to get something that is a upgrade to really make it worth the time and money to do so.

SRoads

Ready to race!
For those having a noise issue with the 034s...

I believe the issue is this, as previously posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKkzNUngl28

I have found that bearing 5q0 412 239 F... supposedly the clubsport S bearing part number... press fits tight into the strut mount top. The 5q0 412 149 E part does not have a press fit.

I have not tested this installed yet...will update in a few weeks when I have the time to do the install. Slight variations in both parts are more than likely causing the noise. Leading to some (part combos with a tight fit) not having any noise at all and others having knocking issues.

Total speculation on my part...If you don't have a tight fit with your parts you could apply some self fusing silicon tape to make up the couple mm in clearance difference.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The main thing that I've noticed with the knocking sound is it sounds low pitched. Almost like something is loose. But I had my local VW shop check over everything. Couldn't find any issues at all. All the bolts and top strut bolt were tight.

The only thing I didn't replace is the mount bolts. Not sure if that was why.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I don't even know why people still buy these
Because not everyone has issues with them? Mine are fine and have been for over a year now and make zero noise. The ecs ones I had before were awful. Squeaky squeaky over every little bump. Annoying af.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I have 034 upper bushings, factory bearings with H&R OE sports on B8s. 40k no issues.

I will say the H&R OE sport keeps more pressure on the strut (vs a shorter spring) especially with a B8 that does not extend as far as a factory strut.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
For those having a noise issue with the 034s...

I believe the issue is this, as previously posted...

I have found that bearing 5q0 412 239 F... supposedly the clubsport S bearing part number... press fits tight into the strut mount top. The 5q0 412 149 E part does not have a press fit.

I have not tested this installed yet...will update in a few weeks when I have the time to do the install. Slight variations in both parts are more than likely causing the noise. Leading to some (part combos with a tight fit) not having any noise at all and others having knocking issues.

Total speculation on my part...If you don't have a tight fit with your parts you could apply some self fusing silicon tape to make up the couple mm in clearance difference.
Did you ever install the Clubsport bearings?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just to add to an old thread. I have used 034 mounts, had them on my B8's, with no issues over 6 years of use. I currently have the ECS facsimile of those mounts and have no issues with them either.