GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Also, I don't get grinding that you guys are talking about. I do have that noisy TOB though.

What other noises do you get from your TOB? I just broke 1k miles on the clutch and aside from the grinding sound when starting, I’m now having other hamster wheel like squeaking during 1-2k rpms in 1st to 2nd gear.

Also I was able to drive with my windows down for the first time today and noticed that when accelerating there is... a friction sound? And it increases in volume as rpms get higher.

Using the OEM full metal TOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheeAdam

Ready to race!
What other noises do you get from your TOB? I just broke 1k miles on the clutch and aside from the grinding sound when starting, I’m now having other hamster wheel like squeaking during 1-2k rpms in 1st to 2nd gear.

Also I was able to drive with my windows down for the first time today and noticed that when accelerating there is... a friction sound? And it increases in volume as rpms get higher.

All normal things from my experience.. 3k on clutch and same TOB

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Drove 3 old ladies around about 70 miles yesterday in some traffic. There was a slight grind once. Other than that, very well behaved.

I started to pay attention to what I was actually doing when taking off from a stop. I'm reving very low, like 1200, or 1300 and then engaging the clutch and riding it out slowly. This seems to creates the smoothest and quietest take off. If I rush as gas it it will grind. I think without a spring and without grabbier friction material, the clutch is more "on / off". If you're looking for smooth and quiet use less revs and slower on gas.

TheeAdam

Ready to race!
Drove 3 old ladies around about 70 miles yesterday in some traffic. There was a slight grind once. Other than that, very well behaved.

I started to pay attention to what I was actually doing when taking off from a stop. I'm reving very low, like 1200, or 1300 and then engaging the clutch and riding it out slowly. This seems to creates the smoothest and quietest take off. If I rush as gas it it will grind. I think without a spring and without grabbier friction material, the clutch is more "on / off". If you're looking for smooth and quiet use less revs and slower on gas.

This

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

I have none now, but that's cause I just traded my R in. Now I have 2 GTIs.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
What prompted the change to GTI from the R?

Had it for 3.5 years, got 72% value back on trade in, was planning to do a build with it, but have come to the realization that I wouldn't be able to put the time in required to build what I want (probably work on it one day a month at most so it would take years to complete) and I don't want to pay a mechanic thousands upon thousands of dollars to do it for me.

All that said, I may get a 2019 R by year's end, otherwise an RS3 or really go nuts and get a 911.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Had it for 3.5 years, got 72% value back on trade in, was planning to do a build with it, but have come to the realization that I wouldn't be able to put the time in required to build what I want (probably work on it one day a month at most so it would take years to complete) and I don't want to pay a mechanic thousands upon thousands of dollars to do it for me.

All that said, I may get a 2019 R by year's end, otherwise an RS3 or really go nuts and get a 911.
Those last two options sound the best... The R only seems to add the needed traction for putting down big power. Otherwise the GTI is a bit more tossable and a bit more fun around the track. The R is unflappable and a mini GT-R. Which can be both good a and bad. They are a great platform to build nice power on for sure ?

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr

I know you don't have it anymore, but did your sqeaking sounds ever go away when you switched from the Sachs to LUK TOB? The clutch is great except for the dang sqeaking sound that sounds like a hamster wheel in 1st and 2nd gear.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
I know you don't have it anymore, but did your sqeaking sounds ever go away when you switched from the Sachs to LUK TOB? The clutch is great except for the dang sqeaking sound that sounds like a hamster wheel in 1st and 2nd gear.

That sound is normal. What your hearing is the final engagement of the clutch. If you don't want to hear that, you have to barely give it throttle when starting from a stop.

I had that noise and the noise I posted about with both the Sachs and the LUK. I was suspicious of thrust bearing issues and didn't want to risk it.

TheeAdam

Ready to race!
That sound is normal. What your hearing is the final engagement of the clutch. If you don't want to hear that, you have to barely give it throttle when starting from a stop.

I had that noise and the noise I posted about with both the Sachs and the LUK. I was suspicious of thrust bearing issues and didn't want to risk it.

I agree that high pitched squeak is the pucks coming into full contact at the end of the clutch throttle

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, just installed the Sachs 4 puck clutch here with a DMF, iAbed RMS, And Tyrol Sport deadset. The clutch feels amazing. I do have to say that something was missing in this car before and this definately filled the gap.
I believe you all were exaggerating with the clutch pedal increase. Previously the clutch felt empty, now there is a more aggressive bite and in my opinion it is alot easier to drive when it comes to feeling out the clutch.
In regard to the creaking, clunking, and squeaking that some of you have noticed, theres none here. I can almost guarantee that this is because of the Subframe deadset that was installed. Car feels much more solid. Definately not a descision I regret at all!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hey guys, just installed the Sachs 4 puck clutch here with a DMF, iAbed RMS, And Tyrol Sport deadset. The clutch feels amazing. I do have to say that something was missing in this car before and this definately filled the gap.
I believe you all were exaggerating with the clutch pedal increase. Previously the clutch felt empty, now there is a more aggressive bite and in my opinion it is alot easier to drive when it comes to feeling out the clutch.
In regard to the creaking, clunking, and squeaking that some of you have noticed, theres none here. I can almost guarantee that this is because of the Subframe deadset that was installed. Car feels much more solid. Definately not a descision I regret at all!

Tell me more about this subframe deadset?