GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I rented an airbnb this weekend with a comically high curb at the driveway. It was so high I needed to come at it at an angle so the wheel was outside the line of the car (AN ALLTRACK!). I'm going to say the Sachs clutch performed better than the stock one would have in that situation. No problems slowly crawling the car up on to the curb while feathering the clutch and throttle. No excessive RPMs, no smells.

Just the TOB, so no additional break in period. Other than the TOB noise, the clutch performs great.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
The new LUK TOB went in today. Car is even smoother to drive and pedal feel is much lighter (a lot closer to the GTI compared to when the Sachs TOB was in there). The bad news is it didn't completely solve the noise issue. It is way less noticeable and only appears at partial pedal travel, but it is still there. I'll see if it changes at all with time. My other suspect was the master cylinder, so I may look at that closer in the future.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The new LUK TOB went in today. Car is even smoother to drive and pedal feel is much lighter (a lot closer to the GTI compared to when the Sachs TOB was in there). The bad news is it didn't completely solve the noise issue. It is way less noticeable and only appears at partial pedal travel, but it is still there. I'll see if it changes at all with time. My other suspect was the master cylinder, so I may look at that closer in the future.
Dang kinda wish I went with the LUK now. Cheaper too!

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Took it out for a shake down drive this morning and it was quiet as a mouse. Also noticed that the engagement point moved compared to the Sachs TOB. Engagement with the Sachs was pretty high, it is now closer to mid range of travel (a little lower than middle), which mimics the OEM feel a lot more.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
https://photos.app.goo.gl/43FB9PE4njo8da1s8

Does anyone get the grinding sound in the video (link above)? When starting from a stop, I have to clutch out very slowly at about 1000-1200 rpm to be quite.
Yea I get that sometimes when I let the clutch out too slow and get on the gas. You can avoid it by slipping the clutch more at a low rpm and roll slower. Play with it. The clutch also did it more often when I had under 2k on the clutch.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Took it out for a shake down drive this morning and it was quiet as a mouse. Also noticed that the engagement point moved compared to the Sachs TOB. Engagement with the Sachs was pretty high, it is now closer to mid range of travel (a little lower than middle), which mimics the OEM feel a lot more.
Weird. I wonder if there is a difference in height of the TOB. The Sachs is very high. So high I can't start the car if I adjust my clutch stop high enough to beer perfect.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
https://photos.app.goo.gl/43FB9PE4njo8da1s8

Does anyone get the grinding sound in the video (link above)? When starting from a stop, I have to clutch out very slowly at about 1000-1200 rpm to be quite.

Yes, and you can almost feel the grind in the pedal, right?

I've noticed the clutch does not like the rpms to be on the rise when it engages. I have been taking the rpms up to 1800 or so and slowly backing off the gas till it engages (very slowly) and it catches by 1000-1200 rpms, and i don't get that noise.

Also, i have found what you are doing to work also, but a tad to fast or you get back on the gas a little early and it happens.

Reached out to my installer and he said it's the material and when he started getting complaints of it, he took a car apart and saw that everything looked fine. That was reassuring but still not fond of the noise when it happens.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes, and you can almost feel the grind in the pedal, right?

I've noticed the clutch does not like the rpms to be on the rise when it engages. I have been taking the rpms up to 1800 or so and slowly backing off the gas till it engages (very slowly) and it catches by 1000-1200 rpms, and i don't get that noise.

Also, i have found what you are doing to work also, but a tad to fast or you get back on the gas a little early and it happens.

Reached out to my installer and he said it's the material and when he started getting complaints of it, he took a car apart and saw that everything looked fine. That was reassuring but still not fond of the noise when it happens.
I'm amazed how well the clutch behaves like 98 percent of the time. But 2 percent of the time it makes weird noises.