GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Volkswagen 1.8L Turbo Mk7 Golf Launch Coupe w/ 64k miles

RJ_Payne

This is a 1.8L turbo Mk7 Golf (Launch Edition aka manual trans coupe) I purchased in 2014. It is in excellent condition as I am pretty OCD about my vehicles. I am the original owner. I bought the car brand new in November of 2014 as a commuter. The car gets about 30mpg highway. The roof rack and snowboard/snow ski attachment comes with the car. Car features Bluetooth stereo as well as handsfree phone operation. Outside of the 18" Watkins Glen wheels that I purchased aftermarket from a mk6 gti owner I have made no modifications to the vehicle. The 1.8L turbo motor makes 170hp and 200 foot-pounds of torque which I must say is far from disappointing having owned a mk6 gti. I have a brand new set of wolfsburg center caps for the wheels (the current ones have lost their initial sheen).

Link to the Craigslist Ad:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/westminster-2015-volkswagen-18l-turbo/6798580545.html

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Wait 30mpg highway? That’s terrible. My MK6 GTI did better than that, as well as both of my MK7 GTIs. This should get 37+ highway. And I really mean 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Wait 30mpg highway? That’s terrible. My MK6 GTI did better than that, as well as both of my MK7 GTIs. This should get 37+ highway. And I really mean 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only see 28-32 MPG hand calculated in my GTI.

Here in Texas the speedlimits are 75-85 on highways.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I only see 28-32 MPG hand calculated in my GTI.

Here in Texas the speedlimits are 75-85 on highways.

I get 31-32 mpg going 60mph for 30+ minutes in cruise control in my GTI :( my DSG MK7 is the least efficient GTI i've owned, compared to a MT MK6 and a MT MK7. I wish I went MT again. Sold myself on the DSG, and while I enjoy it almost as much as stick, I'm a sucker for economy (also drive 30K a year, so it makes a big difference to me). Bout to start logging, figuring out if there's something wrong with my car. The mileage is unacceptable to me.

But this guy is in a Golf, and he's reporting the same abysmal hwy mileage as me, and his car is supposed to be even more efficient than mine. MT Golf (1.8L, IS12) are incredibly efficient. Shit, my mom's Passat with the slushbox and 1.8 gets 37+mpg going 75. A Golf should do better than that, and indeed, many people with golfs report 38+ mpg highway, hand calc'd

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Rack probably makes a big difference as well as a number of other factors that can affect MPG (tires, speed, road conditions, etc...)

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Rack probably makes a big difference as well as a number of other factors that can affect MPG (tires, speed, road conditions, etc...)

Ah, so you're saying the progressive rack on the GTI can affect gas mileage, compared to the non-progressive rack on the Golf? hadn't thought of that. interesting.