GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
The clutch seems to have broken in a bit and gotten grabbier. While it was pretty smooth driving out of the shop, I now find myself with the shudder more often if I don't rev past 1500 while starting from a stop. I'm at about 350 miles. I guess I'll have to change my driving style a bit.

Side note: My clutch and pressure plate looked to be in very good condition. My installer told me the problem is the pressure plate being too weak. Simply going with a stronger pressure plate which fit with the stock clutch could have been a cheaper solution.

i had that more from the beginning and now at 650 miles, its nice and only shudders if my feet are off, which is really with any clutch. Give it a few hundred more miles. I think you also asked if the pedal point comes up any higher since install. Probably settled in about 1/4" higher than the original location.

yes, Sach's does make a lower power handling kit too with a full face disc and uprated pressure plate (425 ft lbs?). The material and design of the 4 puck will still add additional power handling over an oem / full organic disk material.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Sachs 4 puck with DMF and the South Bend stage 3 daily?

I'm honestly down to these two clutches. It'll be going into a Golf R that'll likely have a hybrid turbo in the next year or so.

I'm looking for a clutch that's going to be able to hold the power the car will likely have but I'd also like it to be nice to use on a daily basis since this in my only car.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Sachs 4 puck with DMF and the South Bend stage 3 daily?

I'm honestly down to these two clutches. It'll be going into a Golf R that'll likely have a hybrid turbo in the next year or so.

I'm looking for a clutch that's going to be able to hold the power the car will likely have but I'd also like it to be nice to use on a daily basis since this in my only car.

The Sachs can hold 600 ft/lbs, the SB daily only 500. I would be looking at the endurance, which is 580 ft/lbs.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The Sachs can hold 600 ft/lbs, the SB daily only 500. I would be looking at the endurance, which is 580 ft/lbs.

I have no plans for a full engine rebuild to go beyond 420 lb ft.

I was more concerned about how the two compare from a daily driver standpoint.

radoroc

Ready to race!
I have no plans for a full engine rebuild to go beyond 420 lb ft.

I was more concerned about how the two compare from a daily driver standpoint.

You don't need a rebuild for up to around 440 wtq. The number I mentioned are to the crank. The daily would be too close to comfort for me, hence the recommendation. You definitely want some headroom.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
You don't need a rebuild for up to around 440 wtq. The number I mentioned are to the crank. The daily would be too close to comfort for me, hence the recommendation. You definitely want some headroom.

i was extremely close to buying the 4puck... definitly agree with radoroc. thats why i am going for the SB stg3 endurance. however 2 things. i thought the safe limit of 420lb/ft was at the wheels not the crank. all dynos were at the wheels specifically. WHP and WTQ.
also the other thing is that i have heard the daily (organic material) will last longer than the endurance (kevlar material). i dont know how much longer.

oh one more thing, if dragging alot then once the kevlarr gets too hot the material ruins. better to go daily if dragging alot.

Last edited:

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
i was extremely close to buying the 4puck... definitly agree with radoroc. thats why i am going for the SB stg3 endurance. however 2 things. i thought the safe limit of 420lb/ft was at the wheels not the crank. all dynos were at the wheels specifically. WHP and WTQ.
also the other thing is that i have heard the daily (organic material) will last longer than the endurance (kevlar material). i dont know how much longer.

oh one more thing, if dragging alot then once the kevlarr gets too hot the material ruins. better to go daily if dragging alot.

Since the sachs 4 puck is ceramic, I would think it would be the best option as it hold lots of torque and has excellent thermal resistance.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I am right around the same mileage and my experience is similar.
I'm at 400 and some change and it's getting better each time.

I can't wait to launch the car. Has anyone done this yet? :) AWD + 4 Puck seems like fun from a stop. Haha.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Since the sachs 4 puck is ceramic, I would think it would be the best option as it hold lots of torque and has excellent thermal resistance.

It actually appears to be a blend of materials, just can't confirm what % of what. I'd imagine this to give you the best of each type of material, at least that's what I'd like to believe since i bought it, haha.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I now have almost 1000 miles on the clutch. Much of it was highway though. The clutch feels real good now. The shudder is not very apparent anymore. The clutch has lightened up a lot. No issues with traffic or traffic on hills! No issues using the clutch in heavy snow conditions.

I have yet to put power through it in 1st or 2nd. When you don't match revs properly, you feel the mismatch a lot more than stock because the clutch is not sprung. I really like the clutch setup for a daily. No weird noises. Etc.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Very encouraging thread. Mostly positive reviews unlike the other clutch threads(dkm). Good drivability and holding power seem to make this a serious contender when the time comes for a new clutch!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Very encouraging thread. Mostly positive reviews unlike the other clutch threads(dkm). Good drivability and holding power seem to make this a serious contender when the time comes for a new clutch!

To be fair, DKM started off positive. I mean we are only hearing about the break in period for this clutch. For something like a clutch...give it a year I say at least a year.

Though I have more confidence in Sachs since they have been an OEM supplier for VW. You still want to see more people on this clutch for a bit more time.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm totally happy now. I got my car struck in snow and had no problems modulating the clutch to get unstuck. Well, I had problems getting unstuck, but the clutch was never the problem. It actually did awesome when slipping the clutch to control power to the wheels, no smells, it felt real powerful?