GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Not sure where you got this from. The dual mass flywheel is just a vibration absorber/dampener. There are linear springs in a closed housing. Nothing can engage/disengage.

Like most mechanical components, the more moving parts, the more risk of something failing. A single mass flywheel is as simple as it gets and will be the most reliable, but it also has less vibration dampening ability, so there is a noise penalty.

I would put a fluidampr on if I was going to a SF to help with some of that noise.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Can you describe the noise? I think I know what you’re talking about and I attribute it to the louder grind like noise I described in my op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the noise:

https://youtu.be/5s6Xtv9jOAM

It is intermittent and seems to come only when the car has been driven for more than 30 minutes. It doesn't impact drivability. Not sure if it is a faulty TOB, or if there is air in the line and I just need to bleed it or the MC is doing something funny.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
My Sachs is in. It's comical how heavy the clutch is right now. I would not survive in traffic right now.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Haha. How’d it go? 580 miles and MUCH better. Heavier than stock in a good way and clear engagement point.
I just drove 90 miles but mostly highway. I'm not going to say it's stiffer in a good way right now. I don't have any issues with reverse launching or slow speed take off. I got stuck on a hill stop sign and that was a bit trying. Everything is smooth. I get a slight shutter here and there but it hasn't happened much.

Feels good! My left leg though!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm around 300-350 miles and it is getting better (except for what I suspect is a TOB that is shitting the bed).
Yeah I have no noises like you. I get a little bit of chatter but it's real faint. I can't hear it with the air on.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Love the looks of this clutch... Have a couple of local friends in my local mqb club that have this clutch.

I was originally going to go with south bend stage 3 daily... However this thread has me thinking otherwise. Especially because of the ability to be able to keep the DMF.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I got this clutch setup installed Saturday and now have about 250 miles on the setup. A lot of it was highway though. Here are my observations:

1. No real additional noise.
2. The pedal is MUCH heavier than stock right now.
3. There is some shutter in the clutch if you don't have enough RPMs when taking off. As stated before, 1500 at least. But it's not like you need 2k, its not bad.
4. No issues with fine movements in reverse or forward. I can crawl the car back and forward with no issues, except the clutch is pretty heavy to hold down for fine movements.
5. No issues with shifting gears once the car is rolling. Feels almost like stock.
6. I didn't need to adjust my clutch stop.
7. Right now it's tougher to drive the car smoothly when I'm fatigued. I helped a friend move yesterday and had a hard time driving smoothly while heading home. My legs were tired, my body was tired. May not be an issue once I develop more muscle memory, or the clutch lightens up, the clutch breaks in more, or all of the above.

If the clutch pedal lightens up like some have said, I don't see any drawbacks in this setup.

My installer said the other clutches in this class have heavier pedals. He was also surprised how well behaved the clutch was during his test drive.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The clutch seems to have broken in a bit and gotten grabbier. While it was pretty smooth driving out of the shop, I now find myself with the shudder more often if I don't rev past 1500 while starting from a stop. I'm at about 350 miles. I guess I'll have to change my driving style a bit.

Side note: My clutch and pressure plate looked to be in very good condition. My installer told me the problem is the pressure plate being too weak. Simply going with a stronger pressure plate which fit with the stock clutch could have been a cheaper solution.

Just remember that it will get grabbier as it ages.