GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Fluid Flush Necessary???

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam1991

Banned
"A good rule of thumb is to have your brakes flushed about every 30,000 miles (48,280 kilometers) or so."

Real specific. "Rule of thumb", "about every...," "...or so." Pretty much what I've been saying.

except for the whole "whenever you change your pads".

Fact: brake fluid isn't mileage sensitive.

Again, you completely ignore that. Let's go back to the guy who drives 5K/year, all freeway. You would have him change the fluid, what--every time he does the pads/rotors? So every 15 years.

How often do you change your oil? What triggers you to do that?

adam1991

Banned
How often do YOU change your engine oil? What tells YOU it's time to change your engine oil? Why don't you tell me first and I'll think about answering.

bzzzzt. Thanks for playing.

Your attempt at deflection and diversion is transparent.

You will let the brake fluid go completely, a decision made based on no facts, and yet you will change your oil much more frequently than needed, based on...no facts.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
That's not what I said and you know it. If you change pads and rotors, you change the fluid because to not do so is a half-assed job. You don't change a clutch disk and pressure plate but not the throw out bearing or pilot bushing. So of course you change the fluid at pad/rotor changes. It's not unnecessary then but to do it when there's no need to is the very definition of unnecessary. The OP is reaching 50k and likely in need of a brake job so of course he should do it IF he gets that brake job. But to change the fluid just to change it won't address his likely need for a full brake job.

No one, not an engineer or a tech or anyone else, has ever told me to do a brake flush when I did a brake job. Just because you want to do it when you change your pads and rotors doesn't mean others who don't makes them someone who half asses a job. What if the OP got brand new pads and rotors recently? Guess he (or the mechanic if he didn't do the brake job himself) did a half ass job because the brake fluid wasn't flushed

On the same note, I find it hilarious you talk about half ass jobs but you blatantly refuse to do your brake flushes within the prescribed maintenance schedule... to me it sounds like your brake jobs just happen to coincide with the brake flush schedule, otherwise you clearly wouldn't ever do them until your brakes were about to fail, or when you absolutely need new pads and rotors, like you said in your first post

Last edited:

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I went to some driving event a couple of years back and they had Brembo engineers on hand with a kiosk of their products. The subject of brake fluid maintainence and brands recommended came up and they said that if you weren't tracking the car, nor doing any kind canyon runs, they wouldn't bother with changing the fluid on a street car.

Take it for what it's worth.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I went to some driving event a couple of years back and they had Brembo engineers on hand with a kiosk of their products. The subject of brake fluid maintainence and brands recommended came up and they said that if you weren't tracking the car, nor doing any kind canyon runs, they wouldn't bother with changing the fluid on a street car.

Take it for what it's worth.

now that is just stupid.

if you are tracking a car, you will know when to change fluid.

example. i spent last weekend tracking my car. 17 gti sport. i changed the front pads to porterfield r4 track pads.

did not change fluid. everything was fine. lots of track snobs will spout off motul and what ever fluid, but if the fluid is fresh it works fine.

this is in a car with ~10k miles on it. now at 15k miles i will replace and upgrade the fluid.

btw, canyon carvers are the posers of the i think i know how to go fast.

you cant get tires / brakes up to temp on streets or in canyons.

if you think you can you have not been on track! and you are driving like an asshole on the street.

beers

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Or, as my Corvette and Camaro manuals say, never change it at all. After all, I'm following the service intervals as defined in the Owner's Manual!

Literally no one on this forum cares what those crayon eaters at Rental Car Inc. write into their service books that are never opened by their customers.

adam1991

Banned
It's not random shit Einstein. I'm showing you that VW might have it a bit conservative.

you say that because you've CHOSEN to believe that GM has it right.

You can't imagine that GM doesn't have it right, because what GM says is what you believe in (like a religion) and therefore GM is confirming your faith.

Maybe GM is full of shit? Maybe GM hopes your car explodes so you have to buy another one?

In the meantiime, the rest of the world says different than GM. But that's against your religious faith, so you choose to ignore it.

And by the way, the Earth revolves around the sun, too. I know, I know--blasphemy.

adam1991

Banned
Or, as my Corvette and Camaro manuals say, never change it at all. After all, I'm following the service intervals as defined in the Owner's Manual!

Great.

So do the same for your VW.

I would posit that it's a bad idea to follow the Corvette service intervals for your Golf.

Here's an idea: if you're following the service manual, why don't you follow the VW service manual? (And then you can go over to the Corvette forums and tell them all about it.)

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
YO! Adam1991! Learn how to use multi-quote and not increase your post count needlessly.

Your attempt at deflection and diversion is transparent.
You are a good teacher. You use grammar and syntax time and time again to bash others over and over when they don't say what you want how you want. Talk about deflection and diversion.

You will let the brake fluid go completely, a decision made based on no facts, and yet you will change your oil much more frequently than needed, based on...no facts.
Perfect example of deflection and diversion by stating I "will let the brake fluid go" which is nowhere near what I said (learn how to read) and using some change in argument to bring up oil changes for which you, again, have no facts to support your argument since I have not answered your needless question about oil changes.

Literally no one on this forum cares what those crayon eaters at Rental Car Inc. write into their service books that are never opened by their customers.
I also *literally* have no idea what this means.

you say that because you've CHOSEN to believe that GM has it right.
You can't imagine that GM doesn't have it right, because what GM says is what you believe in (like a religion) and therefore GM is confirming your faith.
Maybe GM is full of shit? Maybe GM hopes your car explodes so you have to buy another one?
In the meantiime, the rest of the world says different than GM. But that's against your religious faith, so you choose to ignore it.
And by the way, the Earth revolves around the sun, too. I know, I know--blasphemy.
??????

So you're basing your assholishness here on your Corvette owner's manual,
Now you're making this personal by calling me an asshole. You should be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.