GOLFMKV

Brake Fluid Flush Necessary???

Status
Not open for further replies.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
As is common, the usual cast of characters here disagree with anything that is not what they believe is correct and completely disregard real-world results as well as point to the owner's manual as the word of God as if disregarding the OM the day after you hit a specific time or mileage causes the car to blow up. That's not how the world works.

If a car is stopping properly and the pedal is not mushy (also indicative of air in the system) there's not enough water in the fluid to require a change. Unless it's also time to change brake pads and/or rotors, there's no need to do this service even if recommended in the manual.

Though, if you're under warranty and could be denied free service on the brake system, that might be a reason to do the service even if not necessary. Otherwise, if the brakes are working properly, they are working properly. Unnecessary service, even if cheap, is unnecessary service.

I’m assuming that you don't change your timing belt until it snaps either.

adam1991

Banned
As is common, the usual cast of characters here disagree with anything that is not what they believe is correct and completely disregard real-world results as well as point to the owner's manual as the word of God as if disregarding the OM the day after you hit a specific time or mileage causes the car to blow up. That's not how the world works.

And no one said that, either. But thanks for the hyperbole as you attempt, desperately, to remain relevant in this conversation.

If a car is stopping properly and the pedal is not mushy (also indicative of air in the system) there's not enough water in the fluid to require a change. Unless it's also time to change brake pads and/or rotors, there's no need to do this service even if recommended in the manual.

Though, if you're under warranty and could be denied free service on the brake system, that might be a reason to do the service even if not necessary. Otherwise, if the brakes are working properly, they are working properly. Unnecessary service, even if cheap, is unnecessary service.

Bad advice from a disgruntled person.

Strike that--HORRIBLE advice. Still from a disgruntled person who's unhappy that his advice was outed as being bad.

Tsi7

Ready to race!

With this argument you just made, your first point doesn't make any sense. Why do you even bother doing it when you change your pads and rotors? By your logic, if the car is stopping fine, even if you are replacing pads and rotors, there is no reason to spend the extra time if it is absolutely unnecessary...

The only reason I thought you made a good point originally was as I said, the chances are very likely that your brake pad and rotor replacement aligns with the 3 year mark that most manufacturers recommend... regardless of the matter, I still do believe you should do it every 2 or 3 years, whatever is recommended

adam1991

Banned

I can't get past the insanity of this claim, this "advice".

"Don't do what the engineers specify. Ignore the factory manual, even as a reference point. Instead do what I say."

What is your advice for people who drive 5K/miles a year, all on the freeway--and who use their brake pads and rotors very, very little? "It'll be OK--just change the fluid 15 years down the road when you finally change your pads."

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

It's called preventative maintenance.

Sure your car with 2mm thick rotors stops "fine", but it's due for a service isn't it?

Service your brake fluid every 2-3 years.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Every 2 years, or more often if you're running something exotic (RBF600, SRF, etc.).

cb1111

Give idiotic advice and the attack the people that call you on it - that's very mature.

What you've just told every member here is "don't ever buy a car from me because I don't maintain it properly."

OTOH, you're right, because we never defined what "stopping properly" is. If "stopping properly" means getting the velocity to zero, then hitting a brick wall because your brakes that you thought were OK all of a sudden weren't, then the car is "stopping properly".

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I’m assuming that you don't change your timing belt until it snaps either.
Catastrophic engine damage due to not changing a timing belt before it breaks is nowhere near the same thing as changing brake fluid that does not need changing. Your scenario is invalid. Nice try though.

And no one said that, either. But thanks for the hyperbole as you attempt, desperately, to remain relevant in this conversation.
That's your M.O. Get over it "Mr. Relevant to every conversation ever."

Bad advice from a disgruntled person.....Still from a disgruntled person who's unhappy that his advice was outed as being bad.
WTF does that mean? "Disgruntled"? How f'ing old are you? 15? My advice is not bad, you just happen to disagree with it. You're more than welcome to change any fluid you want when you want.

Why do you even bother doing it when you change your pads and rotors? By your logic, if the car is stopping fine, even if you are replacing pads and rotors, there is no reason to spend the extra time if it is absolutely unnecessary...
That's not what I said and you know it. If you change pads and rotors, you change the fluid because to not do so is a half-assed job. You don't change a clutch disk and pressure plate but not the throw out bearing or pilot bushing. So of course you change the fluid at pad/rotor changes. It's not unnecessary then but to do it when there's no need to is the very definition of unnecessary. The OP is reaching 50k and likely in need of a brake job so of course he should do it IF he gets that brake job. But to change the fluid just to change it won't address his likely need for a full brake job.

....the chances are very likely that your brake pad and rotor replacement aligns with the 3 year mark that most manufacturers recommend... regardless of the matter, I still do believe you should do it every 2 or 3 years, whatever is recommended
And that's fair and what I said originally. Everyone's VW gods Adam1991 and CB1111 are making their typical mountains out of molehills when someone (me) has a differing opinion or doesn't use their choice of words in the exact manner they want. Couple of prima donnas.

I just checked my Corvette and Camaro Owner's Manuals and NEITHER of those manuals have a brake fluid change interval defined AT ALL. So does that mean never? No, of course not. So I changed fluid at each brake change. And that's sufficient.

What is your advice for people who drive 5K/miles a year, all on the freeway--and who use their brake pads and rotors very, very little? "It'll be OK--just change the fluid 15 years down the road when you finally change your pads."
Yeah, pretty much. Brakes work? Yep. Car still stops on a dime? Yep. Pads still have 80% life left? Yep. Rotors still thick as ever? Yep. Pedal spongy or goes to the floor with the car not stopping? No? Then no need to change the fluid.

It's called preventative maintenance. Sure your car with 2mm thick rotors stops "fine", but it's due for a service isn't it? Service your brake fluid every 2-3 years.
Or, as my Corvette and Camaro manuals say, never change it at all. After all, I'm following the service intervals as defined in the Owner's Manual!

Give idiotic advice and the attack the people that call you on it - that's very mature.
Yes and you've shown time and time again you of all people know what "mature" is. Talk about idiotic advice.

What you've just told every member here is "don't ever buy a car from me because I don't maintain it properly."
Let's see..... 200SX went 114,000 miles, Mustang GT went 70,000, Z28 went 107,000, V70R went 25,000, Corvette went 70,000 not to mention the wife's 2 cars, both close to 100,000 each and not one of those cars had needless brake fluid changes and none of them ever failed to stop. Idiotic advice? No, common sense.

OTOH, you're right, because we never defined what "stopping properly" is. If "stopping properly" means getting the velocity to zero, then hitting a brick wall because your brakes that you thought were OK all of a sudden weren't, then the car is "stopping properly".
Yeah, we're peppered daily with reports of people crashing into brick walls because yesterday their brake pedal was 100% functional but on the ragged edge of hitting the service interval defined in the OM only to drive today and get killed because they went over the service interval. So I guess you're right. Failure to do everything exactly as defined in the OM will cause rampant death to all. All hail CB1111.

adam1991

Banned
You sound just like the guy who says, "who needs seat belts. We bounced around in the back of our parents' LTD wagon without belts. Nobody died."

The harder you try to defend your position, the worse you look.

adam1991

Banned
I just checked my Corvette and Camaro Owner's Manuals and NEITHER of those manuals have a brake fluid change interval defined AT ALL.

Bully for them.

So you extrapolate that to every manufacturer, then? Even to the point of actively ignoring the specifications that other manufacturers put out.

That's just using random things to "prove" what YOU want to do is "right".

GM does put out a track day prep guide for the Corvette (and I imagine Camaro, too):

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...let-corvette-race-track-preparation-guide.pdf

To do:
Replace existing brake fluid with a qualified
high-performance brake fluid from a
sealed container (brake fluid with a dry
boiling point >534°F [279°C] is qualified)

When:
If high-performance brake fluid is in the vehicle
and the age of the brake fluid is over a month old
or unknown, replace the brake fluid before track
events or competitive driving (if high-performance
brake fluid is used, replace it with GM-approved
brake fluid before driving on public roads)

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Catastrophic engine damage due to not changing a timing belt before it breaks is nowhere near the same thing as changing brake fluid that does not need changing. Your scenario is invalid. Nice try though.

So waiting until the brakes are mushy and it "feels" like the time to do the fluid wouldn't have a risk to harm both the occupants and the car? Hm. I’m so glad we have keyboard warriors like you.

adam1991

Banned
Catastrophic engine damage due to not changing a timing belt before it breaks is nowhere near the same thing as changing brake fluid that does not need changing.

How often do you change your engine oil?

What tells you it's time to change your engine oil?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
The harder you try to defend your position, the worse you look.
You should talk. You're the pot or the kettle in this situation pal.

So you extrapolate that to every manufacturer, then? Even to the point of actively ignoring the specifications that other manufacturers put out. That's just using random things to "prove" what YOU want to do is "right".
It's not random shit Einstein. I'm showing you that VW might have it a bit conservative. Apparently VW brake systems are soooooo fragile they can't survive one day over the specified brake fluid interval and I'm comparing that to two high performance cars which apparently don't seem to care either way. And nice job completely ignoring real-world examples of high mileage cars that never had a brake fluid change except when having a full brake job done. Guess I was living on the edge there and just didn't know it.

So waiting until the brakes are mushy and it "feels" like the time to do the fluid wouldn't have a risk to harm both the occupants and the car? Hm. I’m so glad we have keyboard warriors like you.
Yes, you understood exactly what I was saying. Exactly. Pat yourself on the back for that. Good job. And it wouldn't be the first time that anyone else on the planet did that and they didn't go out in a blaze of glory so calm down. I'm glad you're glad.

How often do you change your engine oil?
What tells you it's time to change your engine oil?
How often do YOU change your engine oil? What tells YOU it's time to change your engine oil? Why don't you tell me first and I'll think about answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.