GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote start 2018 DSG

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I'm having a remote start installed on my 2018 GTI. It's at the shop now and should be ready by the morning. Its a Compustar with Drone Mobile. I did get a 3rd key because you have to "leave a key".

adam1991

Banned
Does having the "third key" basically disable the immobilizer? By doing that, you're decreasing the theft resistance of the car.

Correct. If the remote start unit doesn't have direct access to the immobilizer, then the hidden key "solves" that problem.

I myself have absolutely no problems with how quickly the car cools or warms the interior, and I don't let my car idle in order to warm it up (that only damages it), so I've never looked into a remote start.

(But if I had a big black car or minivan...)

I do remember reading that the VW global cars (Golf, etc.) don't have this as a factory option because unattended idling is illegal in many European countries--but that their US-only cars do offer this feature from the factory.

cb1111

Correct. If the remote start unit doesn't have direct access to the immobilizer, then the hidden key "solves" that problem.

I myself have absolutely no problems with how quickly the car cools or warms the interior, and I don't let my car idle in order to warm it up (that only damages it), so I've never looked into a remote start.

(But if I had a big black car or minivan...)

I do remember reading that the VW global cars (Golf, etc.) don't have this as a factory option because unattended idling is illegal in many European countries--but that their US-only cars do offer this feature from the factory.
There actually is an option in Europe from the factory that runs through the stock entertainment unit. Instead of being your run-of-the-mill remote start, it is a separate gasoline (or diesel - depending on the fuel) engine that circulates and heats the coolant. Once heated, the fans come on to heat the cabin.

You can set the timer or use the remote AND you can use it in a garage as it is very low emissions.

You can buy the parts through third parties - but - the parts are about $2000 and there is about an 8 hour install. Some piping needs to be fabricated because of the US emission standards currently mandate a part that uses a fuel connector that this thing uses.

Once installed, it looks like OE because it is OE.

A similar device (from the same manufacturer - Webasto) is available aftermarket in Europe - far easier install but uses a separate timer and remote. About the same price.

And yes, idling a car for more than a few minutes is illegal in Europe - so no remote starts

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Does having the "third key" basically disable the immobilizer? By doing that, you're decreasing the theft resistance of the car.

No it doesn't. The battery is removed from the key and it sends the immobilizer signal only during remote start. As long as your installer does a good job hiding the key in the car it is just as secure as factory. It would take hours for someone to find the key the way we install them at our shop.

cb1111

No it doesn't. The battery is removed from the key and it sends the immobilizer signal only during remote start. As long as your installer does a good job hiding the key in the car it is just as secure as factory. It would take hours for someone to find the key the way we install them at our shop.
Actually, it does.

If the battery is removed then it can't "send a signal" on demand.

Whenever you fool the system into believing that a key is present, then you are deactivating the immobilizer.

Last edited:

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
About $800 all in?

I got a deal on mine because I bought two, one for me and one for my wife. I think it was like $650-$700 altogether. Key cost me $125 and programming was $80. Remote start was $450-$475. I forget exactly how it broke down between the two cars. My wife has a Kia Optima with push to start but didn't need a key left.

In my case everything still appears to work the same. My door stays locked when its activated. I have Drone Mobile, as well, so I can lock/unlock doors and remote start from my phone. It also tells me if the doors are unlocked and the engine is running.

I work nights and my building is a friggin wind tunnel that runs next to a canal and a river. Its like 20 degrees colder all year round. I like to get a 5 min start before I leave for the night. My car won't spend alot of time idling.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Actually, it does.

If the battery is removed then it can't "send a signal" on demand.

Whenever you fool the system into believing that a key is present, then you are deactivating the immobilizer.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You can send the signal with the battery out. You are only fooling the system to believing a key is present during remote start.

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
I had to have a remote start removed from my '17R earlier this year... for some reason the remote start installed disabled the need to have a key at all... for like 8 months my car was driveable just by getting in an pushing the start button twice... no clue why though... there was no battery in the leave behind key... the shops solution was to just give me my money back after spending hours trying to troubleshoot.

cb1111

You have no idea what you are talking about. You can send the signal with the battery out. You are only fooling the system to believing a key is present during remote start.
How, pray tell, does the key "send a signal on demand" without the battery?

What it can - and will - do, i fool the car into believing the key is in the car by having the key within close proximity to the receiver - ergo the issue the poster had above.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate?

Are you saying that when installed properly, the "third" transponder key gets energized by induction provided by the remote start unit when it's activated? And that when the remote start unit is not engaged, the "third" transponder key is essentially dead because it's too far away from the car's inductive key cylinder ring? That would be pretty ingenious.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate?

Are you saying that when installed properly, the "third" transponder key gets energized by induction provided by the remote start unit when it's activated? And that when the remote start unit is not engaged, the "third" transponder key is essentially dead because it's too far away from the car's inductive key cylinder ring? That would be pretty ingenious.

That's exactly what happens. You create an antenna around the transponder chip in the key and wrap around the key cylinder (or intercept the factory transponder ring) to transmit the signal.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
How, pray tell, does the key "send a signal on demand" without the battery?

What it can - and will - do, i fool the car into believing the key is in the car by having the key within close proximity to the receiver - ergo the issue the poster had above.

What do you think happens when the battery goes dead? You have to walk? You "send the signal on demand" by holding the key up to the transponder receiver. Now if you understand physics and electronics you can create an antenna that remotely sends that signal to the receiver. The key is installed where it is too far to send the signal unless the receiver/transmitter is energized. The issue the poster had above is a bad install.