GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance air filter testing

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

Take it for what it's worth. I don't want this to turn into another CAI debate since this is not what the video is about, but definitely supports the findings of people with drop in filters

For those who don't wanna watch, summary is a K&N filter added about 2-3% better performance in HP, TQ, and acceleration time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So it begins. Mods might as well lock this before this turns into the same shitstorm it always does. Just thought I'd share an interesting video without someone flaming but I guess that was wishful thinking.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

for one example.

I flamed no one. I made absolutely no comment on your post or on engine performance. If indeed engine performance is increased, it is because of the trade-off of letting more--unfiltered--air through.

I'm stunned by how many people here actively want to reject factual information and instead choose voodoo. Used oil analysis, anyone? Nah. Just change that oil every 3K.

But leave that brake fluid alone!

As for your accusation of "flaming," you might want to get a thicker skin.

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
It does seem like particulate matter removal would be an important metric. That said, I do like that there was at least some data provided on vehicle performance.

I’m sure it would take a fair bit of work to put reasonable error bars around the results, but still interesting. Lots of variables you’d need to control for.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

for one example.

I flamed no one. I made absolutely no comment on your post or on engine performance. If indeed engine performance is increased, it is because of the trade-off of letting more--unfiltered--air through.

I'm stunned by how many people here actively want to reject factual information and instead choose voodoo. Used oil analysis, anyone? Nah. Just change that oil every 3K.

But leave that brake fluid alone!

As for your accusation of "flaming," you might want to get a thicker skin.
This thread had nothing to do with particulate count. Yet you brought it up, like you do every single time this topic is brought up. Broken record. We get it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm with Adam on this one, K&N is absolute garbage.

Engineering Explained is a sales pitch, the guy is basically Billy Mays.

adam1991

Banned
This thread had nothing to do with particulate count. Yet you brought it up, like you do every single time this topic is brought up.

Bullshit. I don't think I've ever brought it up. You're just making things up out of thin air.

But you brought up K&N, in a public forum. If you don't like discussing things in a public forum, then why are you here?

I didn't realize that (a) we were beholden to discussing things that only you approve of, and (b) we are supposed to read your mind about these things you approve of.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
So someone on this forum actually did an oil analysis on his other cars. He used to only run K&N until he found high silicon particles (sand) in his oil. Since then he's been running aFe dry filter which his oil analysis hasn't picked up anything unique.

That said atleast no one is denying that K&N adds hp??

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So someone on this forum actually did an oil analysis on his other cars. He used to only run K&N until he found high silicon particles (sand) in his oil. Since then he's been running aFe dry filter which his oil analysis hasn't picked up anything unique.

That said atleast no one is denying that K&N adds hp??

This has happened several times, including with my own personal experience on a previous car.

As for adding power, yes they typically do, but better designed filters will add the same or more power and still maintain filtration.