GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hi - First time VW owner '18 GTI SE DSG

mattm3mr

Hi all - SF based and proud new owner of a '18 GTI SE DSG in night blue. My other car is '05 Evo MR and previously E36 M3. Living in the bay area, the DSG is nice for my left leg lol.

Has anyone successfully put on an auto-dimming after buying the car? I went to the dealer and they quoted a different part number than DAP. It feels like the number of cars with brights on has increased alot.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/homelink-rearview-mirror-application-guide.html

It says VW has 3 year/36 roadside assistance, I don't see that information anywhere in the car...is that through this VW car net or something else?

Thanks all, other than this infotainment issue, a good start in joining the VW community.

mattm3mr

Okay quick follow up on the dimming mirror, 000-072-548-B is the part number that the dealer and worldoemparts.com (not sure if this site is good or not) but DAP says 000-072-548-F is the correct part...figured I would try another dealer or two for confirmation, but seeing if anyone has had luck with DAP or worldoemparts on their accuracy. Thanks again.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Welcome.

Be sure to use the search function. There are a few large/popular threads on this topic already, with all of the info that you will need.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
Roadside assistance info should be with the owners manual... not related to Car-Net.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mattm3mr

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
I’m actually MUCH happier having a non-auto dimming mirror on my S. I think my last four or so vehicles had auto dimming and none of them worked like I wanted.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Have you tinted the windows yet? It’ll help a lot. I was going to do the auto dim mirror until I tinted.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I’m actually MUCH happier having a non-auto dimming mirror on my S. I think my last four or so vehicles had auto dimming and none of them worked like I wanted.

I have a gentex frameless autodimming that I modified to work on VAG cars. Works exactly how I want it to

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Thanks for the link and looking forward to adding this thing. Did you DIY or take it in to get put on??

Will definitely use the search function to explore the site more, thanks for the welcome all.

Thanks for the link and looking forward to adding this thing. Did you DIY or take it in to get put on??

Will definitely use the search function to explore the site more, thanks for the welcome all.

I DIY'ed it. There is a video by shopdap that shows you how to do it but it's not very thorough but will give you a great overview of what is involved. The install was harder than i thought. Removing the a-pillar panel and mirror cover was the hardest part. It was very hard to remove without excessive force and breaking clips.

Anyways, i love this mirror. I bought it for the garage door opener function but the compass and auto dimming is very nice to have. Tinting alone will not eliminate oncoming bright lights. This solved the issue and it looks great.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Okay quick follow up on the dimming mirror, 000-072-548-B is the part number that the dealer and worldoemparts.com (not sure if this site is good or not) but DAP says 000-072-548-F is the correct part...figured I would try another dealer or two for confirmation, but seeing if anyone has had luck with DAP or worldoemparts on their accuracy. Thanks again.

The number ending in B is VW's mirror with Homelink in it. So your dealer probably assumed you wanted Homelink. They sort of made the mirror universal between the cars in 2018. They had so many different mirrors before, but now on 2018's forward they have consolidated them. The same mirror is now used in all the Golf models, Alltrack, etc.

The big difference used to be how they mounted to the windshield because they were different if you had rain sensing wipers or the camera on the windshield.

So if you do NOT want Homelink, then you would NOT get the number ending in B. The B one is the one I got from my dealer when I DID want to add Homelink.

The mirrors only contain the dimming feature, Homelink and Compass (depending which number you get). They contain nothing else related to any other systems. They were just different in the past because of the mounting differences.

mattm3mr

I DIY'ed it. There is a video by shopdap that shows you how to do it but it's not very thorough but will give you a great overview of what is involved. The install was harder than i thought. Removing the a-pillar panel and mirror cover was the hardest part. It was very hard to remove without excessive force and breaking clips.

Anyways, i love this mirror. I bought it for the garage door opener function but the compass and auto dimming is very nice to have. Tinting alone will not eliminate oncoming bright lights. This solved the issue and it looks great.

Hey thanks for the info, I'm thinking I will probably grab one but was also planning on tinting.

I see in your signature you did 35% tint, did you do that all around or just the rear passenger and hatch window? I'm also in Norcal, have heard of some cops giving tickets for having driver/passenger window tinted past a certain %.