GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Littco L450 on it's way over the pond!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Here it is.

That dyno graph makes a great case for the L38X. (Dan I have renamed it for you). :D

I still think the IS38 is a very good daily turbo. With the added reliability Dan builds into them, you can run the IS38 harder and have all that meat you see in the graph under 5,700rpm.

Update: My thoughts are if you ran the EQT on kill as well, the IS38 would likely only prevail under 3,500 (ish) rpm. Having said that, daily driving is mostly under 4k. I still think the L38X is a winner for someone who wants reliability and great daily driver performance.

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Yea I mean this is an extreme example of an IS38 that pry wouldn't last long on that configuration is my guess

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Here it is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Could you give us an idea between boost and timing on these 3 runs please

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
The EQT tuned on E48 is only making 400HP - this doesn't make any sense

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Could you give us an idea between boost and timing on these 3 runs please

Dont know details other than boost supposedly being mild, like 27 psi on the eqt. The is38 was full e85 with send it tune.

The EQT tuned on E48 is only making 400HP - this doesn't make any sense

This is a mustang dyno so add like 10% on a dynojet. Fyi i made close to 400 whp on a tomi on that same dyno and trapped 125.8 mph.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Damn 125?? That's impressive

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
That dyno graph makes a great case for the L38X. (Dan I have renamed it for you). :D

I still think the IS38 is a very good daily turbo. With the added reliability Dan builds into them, you can run the IS38 harder and have all that meat you see in the graph under 5,700rpm.

Update: My thoughts are if you ran the EQT on kill as well, the IS38 would likely only prevail under 3,500 (ish) rpm. Having said that, daily driving is mostly under 4k. I still think the L38X is a winner for someone who wants reliability and great daily driver performance.

I would like to see more of Dan's is38x in the wild with aggressive tunes to see how they last before dubbing it reliable. There have been plenty of hybrid turbos, not referring to Dan's specifically, that have failed in the past. Also I take my car to the strip from time to time and launch at 5500 rpm so making more power on the later power band is preferable to me and spool isn't that bad. That was the point of me showing those dynos.

MK7Davey

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought the eqt was easily into the 400 range with a solid pump revision and maybe a little bit of e?

It is, Jon's dyno is just a mustang. It's probably making 430-440whp on e48 on a dynojet at 27 psi peak with mildish timing. (according to Jon)

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I would like to see more of Dan's is38x in the wild with aggressive tunes to see how they last before dubbing it reliable. There have been plenty of hybrid turbos, not referring to Dan's specifically, that have failed in the past. Also I take my car to the strip from time to time and launch at 5500 rpm so making more power on the later power band is preferable to me and spool isn't that bad. That was the point of me showing those dynos.

Apples to Oranges. You are talking drag racing, I am talking daily driving.

As for reliability they are already out there in larger configurations with the same precautions for reliability built in.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I thought the eqt was easily into the 400 range with a solid pump revision and maybe a little bit of e?

Yep! The L450 makes 400whp at 25 psi on a heart breaker dyno dynamics for example.

Getting 400whp out of the EQT or L450 on bone stock (US Market) factory fuel should not be an issue but close to the edge. Anything more and it's going to start looking for fuel IMO.

Disclosure: Dyno numbers vary greatly, proof of performance is at the track.

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It is, Jon's dyno is just a mustang. It's probably making 430-440whp on e48 on a dynojet at 27 psi peak with mildish timing. (according to Jon)

Jon also said that car was completely out of fuel, so he may have dialed it back.

We're heading out into left field here :)