GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issues with 2014 GTD

yas7862

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Geez been a long time since I was last here.

Anyhow having had my 2014 GTD since new, its now developed a few issues and just wanted to get some advice as to what to do etc.

Right so the warranty on the car ran out last july so no more warranty and was never offered an extension to the warranty.

The car has done just over 25K genuine mileage, only one owner.

So that's the basic info there. Right onto the problems im having now, typical they happen just after the warranty expired lol.

So my first issue is the cornering lights no longer work, I get an error message saying AFS bend lighting error and the yellow triangle in the center of my dashboard.

The second and most annoying issue is that over the past couple of months I have noticed a humming noise coming from the back of the car. I had my front tyres changed last year as they had worn out but when VW did it, I asked them to check the rears, which they said were fine with plenty of tread. The tyres I have are the bridgestone Potenza 5001 tyres on front and back. Also last summer when I had my service and mot done, I had a slow puncture on the rear passenger tyre which they fixed.
Now I haven't had a professional opinion but ive had a few people say my wheel bearings are gone. Now bear in mind im no car expert myself especially mech side of things.
If it is the bearings then what worries me is that they have gone after 25k miles??. I haven't had any huge knocks in the rear, sure the alloys are a bit scraped but its not like huge chunks have been taken out etc.

So spoke to my local VW stealership and because its out of the warranty they want at least £60 per 30mins to inspect the car for the issues ive mentioned above. Coupled with the repair costs if the bearings have indeed gone and also the cornering lights as well.

So what do you guys think?? do you think the humming noise is the wheel bearings??. I put some air into my tyres earlier today but the humming sound is still there. Its very noticeable on smooth roads, with the more worn in roads its not as bad as the tyres are quite noisy but its definitely there.

Also any idea as to how much the cornering lights is going to cost?? shouldn't be that much considering they are just regular lightbulbs??

Thanks for any advice and help guys. I just don't want to get ripped off by them, which will happen no doubt as my warranty no longer exists.

I suppose I could just wait for my service in June and then get them to look at all the issues?? or is that playing it too risky??

yas7862

Passed Driver's Ed
Also checking the rears earlier today, there is still about 2+mm of tread left on them as well.
Could it be a feathering problem?? as ive had someone mention that to me as well.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Also checking the rears earlier today, there is still about 2+mm of tread left on them as well.
Could it be a feathering problem?? as ive had someone mention that to me as well.

I had a problem with a noise from the rear on a mk5 Diesel 170 bhp Golf GT some years ago. The noise sounded like worn wheel bearings but was actually the tyres ( original Bridgestones) that had worn in a sawtooth pattern on the inside edge.

If you Google ‘rear tyre sawtooth wear’, you’ll find it’s a fairly common pattern, and in most cases, if this is the problem you can actually feel the stepped tread if you run your hand around the inside edge of the rear tyres.

As I was trading the car in, I didn’t replace the tyres or have the geometry checked / realigned, but would’ve needed to if I had been keeping the car.

s1monc

Passed Driver's Ed
Took the wife’s 2016 GTI to Belgium last week and had a bad drumming noise from the rear only on smooth motorways. It drove me mad but the wife wasn’t that bothered. Never noticed it before and since back in this country it doesn’t seem as bad as the road surfaces aren’t as smooth over here. Fronts are Goodyear’s about 3000 miles old but it’s deffo the rear tyres causing the noise. Rears are the original Bridgestones that have done 22k and they have the sawing on the inner edge, still got about 5mm though.
I’ve probably not noticed before as the car mostly gets used for running about not motorway work. Noise only audible over about 60 mph. Will have to change the rear tyres.