GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FS: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC Black, 89.4k

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I know this is a really random car to post on a VW forum, but I'm trying to get the thing sold. I'm close to just taking it to Carmax at this point and taking what they'll give. I've had nothing but 16 year olds with no money kicking tires. If you know anyone who might be interested, send them my way.

Keep in mind, I am willing to drive the car to you if needed and/or take it to an independent mechanic if you like.

I just have too many toys right now. I'll just quote my post on the Cobalt SS forums:

I will try to be as complete as possible, please ask any questions though. This is my 3rd SS/TC (I owned 2 new off the lot) so I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable. I would love to see the car go to a home who will appreciate it the way I do. I would be willing to take the car to a mechanic for an independent inspection and/or drive it to you if business was concluded. Whatever makes you the most comfortable.

I ask that you PM me for my contact information, I don't want scammers emailing or calling me. I purchased a 2016 Golf GTI and one of my vehicles needs to be sold.

Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
Miles: 89,400 (and holding, I am not driving this car right now).
VIN: 1G1AP18X487327276
Title: Clean, no prior salvage.
Price: $8500/obo

This IS a G85 car.

Recalls are completed on the car, and I have 3 programmed ignition keys and 2 FOB's.

Current modifications: GM Stage 1 Tune (via HPTuners), stock DP is gutted, PRS trailing control arm bushings, MPX shorty antenna, OTTP stage 1 mount, OTTP shifter clamp, and OTTP shifter base bushings.

Recent repairs (all done at about 82k miles in May of 2014): When I put in the PRS TCABs, I put them into brand new FE5 control arms. So brand new balljoints, FCAB's etc. New Moog front sway bar bushings and end links (greaseable!). New Moog inner/outer tie rods (greaseable!). ALL new OEM brake rotors & OEM brake pads were done at 85k miles.

Tires: BFGoodrich G-Force, good tread (I will measure exact ASAP).

Things that will come with it: a stock DP with cat's intact, a pair of spare CV axles, and a K&N air filter.

I purchased this car when I still lived in Texas from the original owner. I then moved it up here to Iowa with me, and I just use it as my toy car. This car has never seen salt/winter and I can take pictures under if you like. No rust on anything, its a real joy to work on in that regards! The original owner was another middle-age man like me, so I believe we tried to take care of it the best we could.

The car is not cosmetically perfect and I make no claims it is, it was his daily driver. I have taken pictures of "the big stuff" but you can expect the occasional door ding. Also, he had some sort of garage incident which left a scratch/impression on the passenger door I photographed and pointed to. It's on the pillar thing behind the window glass. I can tell you this, when I bought this car I looked at about 10 different SS/TC's in Texas. This was, by far and away, the best example I could find. The other 9 of the were severely beat down mechanically and cosmetically.

The interior is pretty decent. The only major things I can think of are the original shift knob/boot could use replaced I guess.

The car has a 0% loan on it though my credit union, so I have not been inclined to pay it off quickly. The current pay off is $8000 and dropping. The loan is held though Randolph Brooks Federal Credit for any TX folks familiar with them. I can promise we can make this a smooth transaction, and I can provide many references if needed. Clearly I'm not trying to get rich here, but I won't take it in the shorts either. I would let you use my Iowa license plates until the title is conveyed to you if you are willing to sign an affidavit of responsibility (tolls you might run, speeding cameras.. etc).

As a strange added bonus, even though I disconnected it LONG ago, the XM radio still works in it lol. I believe this is because it sat in the garage and never got the kill signal.

I will endeavor to get better pictures of the car soon, but I will post what I have. It's just sitting in my garage with a cover of it.

Scratch on passenger door, really the major SNAFU on the car.

Here are pictures of it when I last had it detailed:

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
CARMAX sucks and may only offer a little more than a regular car dealer. Be patient and get the money you deserve for that car!

e.g.
I had Carmax offer me $2500 for my modded 93' VR4 3000GT (with a replaced engine and trans) and I ended up selling it on Ebay for $10.5k.

CARMAX also offered me $5k for my 04 SRT4 with 35k miles. I sold that on Ebay for $13k back in 2007.

Basically what I am saying is performance cars with miles on them are better off being sold privately rather than wholesale.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I appreciate the comments. I consider going to Carmax a last resort in April or May.

Looking at the data, I would expect Carmax to offer $5000-6000. The car is "modded" a bit I guess, but to the untrained eye you would never know. I would also revert the tune back to the stock before appraisal. I know I could get $8k for the car if I wait long enough, but in the meantime I'm paying for comprehensive insurance, maintaining it ... etc.

It's just been frustrating, because I'm watching SS/TC's sell for more than I'm asking and in worse condition. The issue has been that I'm in Iowa, and most people who want them (for good reason, this is a shitty Winter car) are in FL or TX. That's why I've been adamant I'm willing to transport it.

A lot of these cars are beat into the ground, sitting in scrap yards, barely run or are rust buckets.

Edit: I have sold one car on eBay, and it was a disaster that ended up costing me a lot of money. I'm a little sour on that.

Last edited: