GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Small window tinting

Gr8ful1

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a new GTi and have an appointment with my tinting shop. They are very good and they have done about 10 cars of mine.
When I scheduled the car to be done I was told the Golfs are problematic because of the little window and they cant tint it.
Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks much

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
No. The shop I went to asked what kind of car I had and then immediately told me, "Oh, don't worry about those little front windows, they're not a problem."

I never had to ask.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
I didn't have an issue with this either. I simply told them I wanted Llumar's Pinnacle in 30% all the way around. 7 windows in total, and turned out great.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If you search the forum you'll find this subject has been brought up several times. My shop said they wouldn't do it - I didn't care, didn't push them about it. You'll more than likely not notice it.

You'll also have several people respond and say "find a new installer" - which to me a is a bit dramatic for a piece of glass that won't make a difference overall tinted or not.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Some shops seem to have little problem but I understand they made tools to make it possible without removing the interior trim.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If your shop has an issue with doing those windows, find another shop. The shop I went to was one that was recommended here on the forums. I chatted with the tinter about the small windows and he said there's no way they'd ever let a Golf out of their shop without those windows done because it would reflect poorly on them. I agree.

They did tell me that they need to remove the A-pillar trim, but they have all the right tools and spare clips on hand. I trusted them and they did a perfect job-- not a single bubble and not a single window not covered 100%.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Both my GTI and R had the little windows tinted no problem. Unless your tint shop is incompetent, he/she should be able to do the work. My tint guy made several tools for various cars to do those small windows.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I ran into the same issue.. the tint guy refused to do the small windows, but the wrap guy was more than happy to cover them with black vinyl from the outside... came out great and best of all he didn't charge me for the work as it was a first for him! I was hesitant to push them to tint the small windows especially if they would have needed to remove plastic trim and then the inevitable creaks that would arrive thereafter, didn't want to take that chance.. so consider vinyl wrap on the outside as an option as well, you wont regret it.

Gr8ful1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for the great input. I will not push my tint person. I think I will cover them with black wrap on the outside.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Every shop I called that does the small windows charged an extra hundred or more for the overall job. Instead, I went to a shop that gave me 3M Color Stable 20% on all windows for $280 and blacked out the small ones with vinyl from the outside. It actually looks a lot nicer than I expected, and I do not notice the difference.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
My tint guy didn’t remove anything while he did the little window. I would not be happy if that little glass was blocked with black vinyl from the outside. But that just me. I’d check around.

Depending on the color of your car, you won't notice that window tintless, unless you are 2 feet away from it, and looking for tint.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I look at it from a long-term perspective: Any tint will eventually fade or bubble. At that point, it needs to be removed, the glass scrubbed clean, and then new tint applied. It's the removal and thorough cleaning that presents more of a challenge than tinting, IMO. My installer did not tint those windows; I'm not offended.

Honestly, it's hardly noticeable since Virginia has a stepped tinting law (50% front and 35% rear). Plus, the little triangle is backed by black plastic trim:

I might have a different opinion if all of my windows were allowed to be darker.

Scott

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
i had the same concerns when they said they couldn't do it. and they left them. i'm 100% fine with it you cant notice, that little window is always out of view since its deep.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
If your shop has an issue with doing those windows, find another shop. The shop I went to was one that was recommended here on the forums. I chatted with the tinter about the small windows and he said there's no way they'd ever let a Golf out of their shop without those windows done because it would reflect poorly on them. I agree.

They did tell me that they need to remove the A-pillar trim, but they have all the right tools and spare clips on hand. I trusted them and they did a perfect job-- not a single bubble and not a single window not covered 100%.
agree...I'm sure they are a PITA but if I wanted tint I'd want tint. It'ss show if they are not tinted. (unless you tint rears only which I don't recall seeing on a Golf (Stang owners will do this)