GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

dadwagen

1996 Jeep Cherokee (5MT)
2001 Jeep Cherokee (auto)
2015 Subaru Forester (6MT)
2018 GTI (DSG)

The Cherokees (especially the 5MT) were lots of fun for camping trips, beach trips, etc. - the primordial 4.0 straight-six produced a ton of torque, and the early 80s styling meant tons of visibility. But they ultimately started rusting and the safety features were pretty much non-existent.

Forester was a very practical car but it was neither responsive nor rugged like the Cherokees. Didn't have much personality (unlike the GTI).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yes it does, it is going to the dealership on Monday to have it officially checked out, but the service manager already said it will likely be a complete engine replacement. The 1.8 Nu engines are currently on back order and it could be a a few months before they become available.

Most likely will be a recall on the motors as they had with the Sonota, Santa FE and the Sportage with the Theta engines. Manufacturing process left metal shavings in the block and it will destroy the bearings leading to the engine seizing.

I am just trying to be the first in line before the recall goes out and everyone has to wait for the replacement engines.

You just need a second Saab. ;)

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
'95 Maxima
'04 Dodge Stratus RT
'04 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
'06 Chevy equinox
'07 Subaru legacy
'09 Pontiac G6 GTP
'09 VW Jetta 2.5S
'12 Mazda 3
'13 VW Jetta 2.5S

My '17 GTI is definitely my favorite car but that Bonneville is a CLOSE second. She was a beauty.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
First european car after having owned 7 later model corvettes...last was a 2012 Grand Sport with tune and dyno 405 hp at the wheels. The vette will kill the gti after about 60, but the vw is lots of fun around town and quick to get moving. Plan to mod soon. Needed a more practical car with better mpg.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
1995 Civic built D16Z6 w/ t3/t4 60/63
2009 Subaru Legacy
2004 Saturn Ion Redline
1999 Saab 9-3
B3 VR6 Passat (I forget what year, it was a POS)
1995 HondaCivic with a bunch of different engines and turbos
1993 anti theft teal green Honda Civic

There was also a SVT turbo swapped fox body in there somewhere, some parts hauling trucks, and a few randoms Hondas/Acuras.

Ham2

1999 Jeep Wrangler - 4cyl auto that topped out at 80mph downhill :p
2006 GTI - Loved that car but the mileage got too high, currently sitting at 185k

Now: 2016 Black PP GTI - I miss the MK5's character sometimes but the MK7 is an incredible car with a lot more potential!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
04 Jeep Liberty
07 Nissan Altima
15 Mazda 3
17 GTI
20xx-death- Probably a GTI

LetsTakeATrip

Passed Driver's Ed
Right before GTI I drove nothing - lived in a city for three years with no need for a car.

Before that:
2011 Juke SL w/ AWD
2005 Mazda3 SP23 4-door manual

TDI-CROSSGOLF

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove a 1991 VW Syncro Westfalia. Most versatile vehicle ever built. period

Modded to the extreme. Lifted, re-geared, powered by a 2.5 Subaru, solar power, hot shower, satellite TV, full kitchen. TRIPLE lockers.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
going backwards:
2015 Acura TLX 2.4 DCT
1997 BMW e36 M3 (still have it)
2006 BMW e90 330i Msport
2000 Honda Accord
1993 Nissan Maxima SE
1988 Honda Civic

in terms of love of the car thus far (only been in my GTI for less than 2yrs) I'd have to go from most loved to least:
e90 330i (spent 9yrs with it, upgrading, modding, detailing etc)
mk7 GTI PP
e36 M3
1993 Maxima SE
1988 Honda Civic
2015 TLX
2000 Accord