GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

19" wheels...would you do it again?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Looking for input from anyone running 19" wheels...

I am looking for a second set of wheels for my GTI and never really had 19's on my radar, but a really good deal has popped up locally on a set of VMR V710FF 19"

I know the biggest issue with going 19" is usually the weight, but these flow forms are actually 2-3 lighter than stock, so no issues there. My biggest concern is ride quality. Will it deteriorate to the point where it's unenjoyable. My car is mainly used for commuting with the odd spirited segment when opportunities are presented ;)

So for anyone running 19's...would you do it again?!

Thanks for the input!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I put 19" Cadiz wheels on my GTI and love the look. Ride quality takes a small hit, but the steering feels sharper, so it's a good trade off in my opinion and it's still not what I would call harsh. Also upgraded to summer tires on the new wheels, so that changes things too. Stock suspension as well; I think the effect could be exaggerated if you're lowered. Just be wary of running them in the winter months as they have less sidewall to protect them from potholes (I kept the factory Austins for winter wheels.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had a set of 19” Pretorias on my GTI. There was some noticable difference between 18” and 19” wheels but it wasnt anything terrible. I switched back to 18” wheels in a couple of weeks because of the terrible roads in MI. Whenever i go over a pothole, it felt as if i was going to damage those wheels.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the input. I am lowered on eibach pro kit springs so that might factor in. So far in my research there seems to be more votes against the 19’s than for it. Anyone else??

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Did the reverse. Went from 19's to 18's in the first couple of month of owning my R. I use my car for track days and daily driver. Cheaper tire replacements for track and improved ride and pothole resistance for day to day. Zero performance difference, and subjectively I like the look of a bit more rubber.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Thanks for the input. I am lowered on eibach pro kit springs so that might factor in. So far in my research there seems to be more votes against the 19’s than for it. Anyone else??

I am not sure how the roads are in your area.

If the roads around were at least a little better, i would have probably stuck with the 19s. Those wheels offered a great stance for the vehicle.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
I had a set of 19” Pretorias on my GTI. There was some noticable difference between 18” and 19” wheels but it wasnt anything terrible. I switched back to 18” wheels in a couple of weeks because of the terrible roads in MI. Whenever i go over a pothole, it felt as if i was going to damage those wheels.

I bent the stock 18" wheels. I wouldn't go anywhere near 19" wheels. I want nothing to do with anything less than 40 series tires.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I bent the stock 18" wheels. I wouldn't go anywhere near 19" wheels. I want nothing to do with anything less than 40 series tires.

I have seen several Rs in my locality with 19” Pretorias and always how those people manage MI potholes. I have damaged two of my 18” wheels on my previous vehicle.

If i lived in a place with better roads, 19” Pretorias would be my choice without any question.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Looking for input from anyone running 19" wheels...

I am looking for a second set of wheels for my GTI and never really had 19's on my radar, but a really good deal has popped up locally on a set of VMR V710FF 19"

I know the biggest issue with going 19" is usually the weight, but these flow forms are actually 2-3 lighter than stock, so no issues there. My biggest concern is ride quality. Will it deteriorate to the point where it's unenjoyable. My car is mainly used for commuting with the odd spirited segment when opportunities are presented ;)

So for anyone running 19's...would you do it again?!

Thanks for the input!

Thought about 19” wheels.
Hit a lot hole, bent OE 18”.
Purchased aftermarket 18”. Suggest 18x8 with 23/40R18 tires.
More meat.
17” would be better choice.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just to further clarify ride quality isn’t my number one goal, otherwise I’d go for for 17’s for sure. I’m currently lowered on eibach pro kits on the stock Austin’s with spacers and find the ride quality absolutely fine, with a good balance of sporty road feel and shock absorption. I’m trying to determine if 19’s would be small decrease in ride that would be acceptable, or a noticeable degradation that would ruin it. Thanks again for all the input so far!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just to further clarify ride quality isn’t my number one goal, otherwise I’d go for for 17’s for sure. I’m currently lowered on eibach pro kits on the stock Austin’s with spacers and find the ride quality absolutely fine, with a good balance of sporty road feel and shock absorption. I’m trying to determine if 19’s would be small decrease in ride that would be acceptable, or a noticeable degradation that would ruin it. Thanks again for all the input so far!

I also run ProKit with Eibach sway bars and DCC.
Never ran 19” but the perfect tire for any GTI in my opinion is and 18x8 wheel wrapped in 235/40R18’s. Little more meat but still great handling. Fills in wheels well more. Side by side the 235 is a big step from the 225’s.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

Been to Vancouver and the BC area a few times, you guys have nice roads... wouldn't hesitate running 19's there. Some decrease in ride quality definitely but nothing unbearable, personally.

I'm just below BC lol. We have shittier roads but it hasn't been an issue. I just watch out for huge holes and slow down appropriately for them if I can. I cringe if I hit a bump at a fast enough speed, but haven't bent or broken anything yet :D

I run 19" for over half the year, only swapping to my spare A/S set for the cold, rainy months.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I sold my 19" stock wheels asap and bought some lighter 19" TSW Bathurst wheels, I saved a few $ by keeping the stock Conti tires. I so wish I sold everything and went with a light weight 18" wheel and tire combo with a slightly wider tire...245. Save weight, gain a better ride and get a little more rubber on the road. Oh and if I went with 18" wheels, I would almost certainly get a hub centric wheel because even with hub rings, you will still get a slight vibration around 80 mph don't care how careful you are putting them on.

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
I also run ProKit with Eibach sway bars and DCC.
Never ran 19” but the perfect tire for any GTI in my opinion is and 18x8 wheel wrapped in 235/40R18’s. Little more meat but still great handling. Fills in wheels well more. Side by side the 235 is a big step from the 225’s.

I really like the 235/40s. I put them on my stock Austins and they really improved the ride. The cars much more compliant with the small bumps in the roads. The additional width improved the appearance but to a lesser degree.

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I had a 2016 GTI with DCC and I drove on 19" Cadiz for about 36k miles. I left it in Comfort mode most the time and I loved the look of the bigger wheel, the tires are wider so bigger contact patch and more grip, and they come with summer tires as opposed to the all seasons on the GTI.

I just bought a 2018 GTI and put on a set of 19" Englishtown. Again I love the look and even without DCC I do not feel that the ride quality is bad at all.

I understand the benefit of why many people prefer 18s. Lighter weight wheel, cheaper tires, etc. But I like how a bigger wheel looks and I like the extra grip from wider tires and summer tires. So I hope that helps.