GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R wheels on GTI, spacer question

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Recently sourced a set of OE Pretorias, 19x8 ET50, for the GTI. For a flush/to near flush look, can same 15mm/20mm spacer kits be used or will that be too much poke? I've seen kits for the R that are 10mm/15mm for a "flush kit" and maybe should use these instead. Thoughts?

RubiksQu

Ready to race!

I think 15mm upfront would work but with slight rubbing on big bumps. I don’t want to deal with rubbing so I went with 10mm and 15

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Looks like its just right. What spacers and are you lowered?(appears to be).

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
I originally had 15/20 spacers, but changed the fronts due to occasional rubbing on big dips in the road. I'm now running 10/20 and don't have any issues. Your setup will depend mostly on tires and camber specs. Tires may run narrower or wider than others.

Here is 15/20. I don't have any new pics with the smaller spacers up front.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Wow really nice looking setup man. Thats all you have is VWR with 19'' pretoria wheels? Looks amazing!

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Thank y'all for posting up the pictures, your cars look great!

yorchz

Sorry to revive this post, but I am not able to find more information in this or other forums. I'm running Pretorias in a 2016 MK7 GTI. However, even with 8 MM spacers, the front driver's side tire rubs against the fender. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. However, I've been seeing people running even 12.5 spacers with no issues. Any advice will help. Thank you!

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Are you running OE tire size? If so, it may be the shoulder profile of the Michelins which are more "square" than a Continental etc. Michelin does this to produce the rim protection portion of the sidewall. I've always had to be very careful with wheel/spacer combinations when using Michelin tires. Also, if there is any damage from a collision or such, make sure the wheel is in the right spot and not pushed out. Get a comprehensive alignment if you have doubts.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sorry to revive this post, but I am not able to find more information in this or other forums. I'm running Pretorias in a 2016 MK7 GTI. However, even with 8 MM spacers, the front driver's side tire rubs against the fender. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. However, I've been seeing people running even 12.5 spacers with no issues. Any advice will help. Thank you!
Have you done the "screw mod" to your wheel well? That could be where you're rubbing. If so great. Cuz it takes 5 mins to fix

yorchz

Are you running OE tire size? If so, it may be the shoulder profile of the Michelins which are more "square" than a Continental etc. Michelin does this to produce the rim protection portion of the sidewall. I've always had to be very careful with wheel/spacer combinations when using Michelin tires. Also, if there is any damage from a collision or such, make sure the wheel is in the right spot and not pushed out. Get a comprehensive alignment if you have doubts.
Thank you for the quick response. No damage to the car. It has never been in an accident. Yes, the tire I'm running is 235\35\19 Pilot Sport 4S with VWR Springs. At this point, I don't know what to do since I saw that the smaller spacers that have a center hub are the 8 mm. I saw the pictures of RubiksQu car and he ran even 12.5 with minimal rub. However, I think by the pictures he is using Pirelli tires. Does Michelin take the extra 4mm? is quite considerable.