GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 05-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #18
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
I contribute to the community by sharing my experiments and modifications. However, a critique from a proclaimed subject matter expert “I studied building acoustics design” starts out with “I see many of the threads on various forums & it makes me laugh as the waste of materials....”, does give me pause.
Maybe I was too direct with my approach, .......just I hate too see wasting time/effort/money when similar results can be gained with less effort/materials...& I have seen numerous people on this forum & many others making the same mistakes re sound deadening.

Less scatter gun, more marksmanship...that's the whole point of these threads, pass on learned actual/practical knowledge...make it easier for others to follow in our footsteps...

EDIT...

PS maybe make a clear distinction between sound deadening/proofing because you want to make the car quieter....& sound deadening/proofing because you have installed a kick ass sound system & like SPL comps...

Last edited by golfdave; 05-03-2018 at 12:53 PM.
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
dr_mat

Drives: Golf Mk7 1.4 TSi Estate
One point to mention to casual browsers is to be careful with the fire safety of materials you're using for this. A car on fire is a bad place to be without adding to the problem with flammable stuff inside the cabin too.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG
Life:
Computers and stuff
dr_mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #20
SteveRosenlund

Drives: 2018 Golf R
I quieted my Mk7.5R today using dynamat extreme and Dynaliner. Took the whole Dad gun day. But it is done. And the results are good.

SteveRosenlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #21
20ls01

Drives: 2018 GTI SE 6spd
You likely just introduce a lot of extra rattles by removing all these panels...lol

GTI is pretty quiet already. Tires make a huge difference...
Llumar 35% tint
3m PRO front clearbra
20ls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #22
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRosenlund View Post
I quieted my Mk7.5R today using dynamat extreme and Dynaliner. Took the whole Dad gun day. But it is done. And the results are good.

Well done Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ls01 View Post
You likely just introduce a lot of extra rattles by removing all these panels...lol

GTI is pretty quiet already. Tires make a huge difference...
Concerning introducing rattles, I have not found that to be the case. I have torn my interior down a few times, most of us look for potential problems, use a little Tesa tape to treat if necessary, and take care putting things back together. Also by tackling jobs like this you develop the confidence and experience to run down a rattle. Knock on plastic as I have none.

The GTI is pretty quiet. However, quiet is relative, if you are coming from a Honda Civic; yea it is super quiet, but if you are coming from an S Class Benz there is a ways to go. Being this is an enthusiast forum many of us like to make our car better than the way it came. By using sound treatment my GTI is significantly quieter than stock and the stereo sound quality is enhanced.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote