GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission slipping?

Hockey

Ready to race!
I have noticed a few times now, coming home from work. I always backup into my drive way and when I went from D to R, the gears didn't change. So I then switched into P then R and was able to park.

I noticed this same thing happened about a week ago. Am I having transmission issues? Car is still under warranty and is a used 2015 DSG

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Maybe but just take it to a dealer and find out. How many miles? Ever had DSG fluid changed?

Hockey

Ready to race!
Maybe but just take it to a dealer and find out. How many miles? Ever had DSG fluid changed?

39,000km. Not too sure about the history, I got it at 30,000km.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The same thing happened to me twice in a span of 1 month when I had 12000 miles on the car. I'm just a little over 14000 miles now, but I haven't experienced it again/yet.

I'm thinking when I get some stuff installed at an independent mechanic, I'll ask to have the DSG looked at as well. I don't know when this will be though.

Edit: before anyone asks, a scan after each instance yielded no errors.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hockey

Ready to race!
I think I'll just have the DSG fluid changed. I'm getting close anyways I think 60k km right? I don't want to head to the dealership unless I need to. Would need to uninstall mods and knowing how slow they are I'll be without a car for a week.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
39,000km. Not too sure about the history, I got it at 30,000km.

Have it checked at a dealer. You're still under the drivetrain warranty, right? Did you have the fluid changed at a dealer? Perhaps it's low.

And yes, take the JB1 off first. Remember, the previous owner could have beat the crap out of the DSG. You can burn out the clutches even without a tune.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
When i had a DSG, it took a second when backing out my garage switching into R.

I think you're probably ok. 39k the fluid change isn't required required until 60k for you guys up in Canada. So that's not it.

Hockey

Ready to race!
Have it checked at a dealer. You're still under the drivetrain warranty, right? Did you have the fluid changed at a dealer? Perhaps it's low.

And yes, take the JB1 off first. Remember, the previous owner could have beat the crap out of the DSG. You can burn out the clutches even without a tune.

I think I will just to be safe. Do you think I could run into warranty issues with a muffler delete and OBD11 tweaks? I can remove the JB1 and put stock intake back on before my visit though.

peppy2

Ready to race!
Good luck. mine didn't want to go into reverse. First fix was $1000US for a new shifter module. It didn't work. Still got charged because the part was considered "used" now. They tried replacing the clutch packs, still no go. I had to buy a new transmission from VW because the metrapack apparently failed. A transmission is $7000US. VW didn't help me at all because the car was modified..

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
I had the same issue before. I had 45,000km on the car when it happened and I had my fluid changed and it hasn't happened since. Changing the fluid early is never a bad thing but the service is rather expensive.

If you do get it done at a dealership join the 'Club Wolfsburg' group on Facebook. They have membership discounts at certain dealerships around the GTA. Should save you 10%.