GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
The Stig
Member
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 GTI SE
Location: New York
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Switching out a MK7 steering wheel with a re-upholstered OEM CORE

Any issues getting a re-upholstered steering wheel (OEM core) switched out on a MK7 GTI? I am too scared to do it myself, so have been calling around, and some service depts. quote over $200 and others around $70 to do the switch-out. Some say they need to do re-coding, others not. In your experience, does the switch-out require coding, or is it plug & play?

I actually used Royal Steering Wheels btw, will post a pic once installed.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Drader
Member
 
Drives: VW
Location: SF Bay
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 30
If it is the same model it will be plug and play. It really isn't hard to do yourself, but the first time is a little tricky: 1. disconnect battery; 2. use small screwdriver to flick out springs holding airbag (look this up); 3. disconnect airbag; 4. use T55 to unbolt wheel.

The second time you do this it will take a total of 3 minutes!
Drader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
The Stig
Member
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 GTI SE
Location: New York
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drader View Post
If it is the same model it will be plug and play. It really isn't hard to do yourself, but the first time is a little tricky: 1. disconnect battery; 2. use small screwdriver to flick out springs holding airbag (look this up); 3. disconnect airbag; 4. use T55 to unbolt wheel.

The second time you do this it will take a total of 3 minutes!
Thank you sir! I figured it's a piece of cake. I do want to observe someone else doing it in the flesh before I take a stab at it though. Watching a YouTube video of it, the Airbag springs seems to be the trickiest part. I also wasn't sure if it would need coding.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 AM   #4
JacobAllison
Senior Member
 
JacobAllison's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport 6-spd
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 277
Definitely DO NOT PLUG IN THE BATTERY WHILE THE WHEEL IS OUT.

It takes a couple hours in VCDS to reset all the warnings and errors you'll get.

Ask me how i know.
__________________
U.S. Navy Mass Communication Specialist - 2017 GTI Sport CSG - Feather Photography - Need Professional Photos?
JacobAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
SK VeeDubR
Senior Member
 
Drives: MKVII R / MK7 1.8TSI
Location: Somewhere between Toronto and Vancouver
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drader View Post
If it is the same model it will be plug and play. It really isn't hard to do yourself, but the first time is a little tricky: 1. disconnect battery; 2. use small screwdriver to flick out springs holding airbag (look this up); 3. disconnect airbag; 4. use T55 to unbolt wheel.

The second time you do this it will take a total of 3 minutes!
This 100%


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Thank you sir! I figured it's a piece of cake. I do want to observe someone else doing it in the flesh before I take a stab at it though. Watching a YouTube video of it, the Airbag springs seems to be the trickiest part. I also wasn't sure if it would need coding.
The 'coding' dealers are talking about is basically turning the wheel lock-to-lock once to reset the dash lights that come on after reinstall. Either that or they are talking out of their asses lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAllison View Post
Definitely DO NOT PLUG IN THE BATTERY WHILE THE WHEEL IS OUT.

It takes a couple hours in VCDS to reset all the warnings and errors you'll get.

Ask me how i know.
LOL why man, WHY did you do that!! haha oh man good times!
__________________
Interested in a custom OEM+ Short Shift Lever? Check out what I do here at Shorty's Shift Levers for VW


Check out my 1.8T car journal - The CHIMERA - if you like OEM+!
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.