GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.8T to GTI

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I get grief from friends who say I should have just bought a GTI. And I would have loved to... but the deal we got on the golf was too good to ignore. So I’ve enjoyed modding the golf more than I ever thought I would and I don’t think I’d do it differently if I could. The golf is an awesome car and very rewarding to mod!

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
. I can keep up with modded GTIs and in total I have still spent less than what a GTI would cost here in Canada.

Overall I'm very happy with my car :).

Really, you can keep up with modded GTi's. What specific mods do you have vs. what they have? Even going IS20 in a Golf, the MK7 GTi's engine is much more potent when tuned than the 1.8T. There is no way if both cars were modded equally that you would keep up. That's just a fact. All the mods in the world on a VW 1.8T will never equal the same mods on a 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 (MQB) engine.

The key to such potent numbers available from the 2.0T in the GTi lies with the fact that it has variable intake and exhaust valves as well as variable lift on the exhaust valves. You can't get that spec on the 1.8T, it's variable intake only.

Not saying your Golf isn't fun, fast and sweet, but I'd really need to see some proof you were keeping up (whatever that means to you) with modded GTi's.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Really, you can keep up with modded GTi's. What specific mods do you have vs. what they have? Even going IS20 in a Golf, the MK7 GTi's engine is much more potent when tuned than the 1.8T. There is no way if both cars were modded equally that you would keep up. That's just a fact. All the mods in the world on a VW 1.8T will never equal the same mods on a 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 (MQB) engine.

The key to such potent numbers available from the 2.0T in the GTi lies with the fact that it has variable intake and exhaust valves as well as variable lift on the exhaust valves. You can't get that spec on the 1.8T, it's variable intake only.

Not saying your Golf isn't fun, fast and sweet, but I'd really need to see some proof you were keeping up (whatever that means to you) with modded GTi's.

well according to other people's times on the 1/4 thread, the fastest is20 1.8t is jb4 stacked running 107mph. thats equivalent to maybe a APR stage 1 GTI or a "slow" stage 2 tune. pretty good. i dont doubt what hes saying. i dont think he means he can keep up with equally modded GTIs $ for $ but then again i think that goes without saying.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I don't doubt it's pretty good. He made a general statement about being able to keep up with modded GTi's. I'm simply asking him to be more specific because tune for tune, it's not possible.

Maybe I'm being too anal about his post, but I see so many generalizations that are far from the truth when you start getting specific. It starts to border on misinformation especially for a noob to the scene that comes along and reads it.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
As vince said, I'm not racing against some crazy modded GTIs. Typically JB4, downpipe etc.
And by keep up I mean not get left in the dust. On pulls I'll overtake a stock GTI, and maybe stay head to head or be a car length behind JB4 GTI.

My point is, if you're considering trading your car and losing a lot of value only to end up in a slightly modded GTI then you're wasting money and time.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I'll have to take your word. The numbers don't lie and a JB4 /downpipe GTi puts out significantly more power than the same 1.8T. Take into account gearing.........I don't see it.

Get the GTi, all around better ride. Not trying to rag on anyone's ride or be argumentative.........just how I see it.

Last edited:

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I'll have to take your word. The numbers don't lie and a JB4 /downpipe GTi puts out significantly more power than the same 1.8T. Take into account gearing.........I don't see it.

Get the GTi, all around better ride. Not trying to rag on anyone's ride or be argumentative.........just how I see it.

Just go to the 1.8t section of the forum, there are dozens of us! :D
300hp is definitely doable on the 1.8t (and has already been done). So it's not that far fetched.

But I agree if you're buying the car for performance and mods get the GTI. But in this case he already owns a regular golf. No reason to take a huge loss on it.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Not sure about taking a huge loss. I think the huge difference is the gap between the value of the Golf and the cost of a GTi. That's never going to change. But it's up to the OP how he wants to proceed. There is excellent support for both, so I agree, he really can't go wrong. He'll have a nice car either way :D

Any Mk7 Golf platform is an excellent car only to be made better with some mods.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think what he meant is he already took the depreciation hit on the Golf. If he trades in for a GTI, he's going to take another depreciation hit. Not that a GTI depreciates more. He's going to lose the $6-7k the Golf already depreciated. That money can go a long way towards other mods, a vacation, savings, etc

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I think the 1.8T in the Audi is a bit different and will yield more power with a tune. The TSFI Audi engines use variable timing on the intake and exhaust and "Audi Lift" which means the exhaust valves have variable lift as well.

The Golf 1.8T only has variable timing on the intake valves. The A3 is more tunable because of the Audi Lift so it yields more potent results with the same tune.

I used to think the same, but this theory has been mostly been proven wrong by the tuning results of stage 2+ Golfs with IS20 turbos installed. I don't think the US Audi A3 EA888 MQB 1.8T 8V FWD (2015/2016) has variable timing and lift on the exhaust cam like ROW models have. The US Golf and A3 FWD both were rated at 170hp and 200 ft lbs from the factory (automatic non-DSG). Interestingly, the ROW models can't take as much boost increase as the US 1.8T can. These cars are classified differently on the BMS website while the US Golf and A3 1.8 are classified together.

Yeah, no doubt. I don't think anyone here is claiming the Golf is the better platform, but it is more capable than many give it credit for. Many of us are at or near 3 years of ownership and experience with our 2015's here in the US. We've seen several Golfs with IS20's at or above 300WHP for very little out of pocket. I have seen one cranking out 361WTQ on the JB4/DP alone. The limitation on the 1.8's seems to be a fuel ceiling as compared to the 2.0T when trying to go beyond a certain amount of air mass (I would say boost but it depends on IAT's). While it may be a minor factor, the variable exhaust timing and lift hasn't been as big of a factor as many of us thought it would be. The Golf just has a simpler design in this regard and that isn't all bad.

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
There will always be something better than what you have I bought a gti pp
I now want a R or s3 but if I did buy one I’d just want a rs3 or even rs4 .
My point is there will always be something better.
On that basis I’m gonna keep my gti as a long term project I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
My two cents. I wanted a GTI however I needed more cargo space (big dog) so I purchased a GSW. I added DG VW springs, GTI PP rear sway bar, FSD shocks, rear brace, APR Stg2, with AWE full exhaust....18" wheels with spacers. In short I have created a big GTI 250hp with over 300ft/lbs torque. I've driven GTIs and my GSW is every bit as fast might even be faster.

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the input everyone! I did some research and soul searching... The GTI is a no go. I bought my car brand new and already took a hit. If i get the GTI, i'll take another hit. Based on my age, the GTI premium for insurance was significantly higher in price and didnt feel worth it.

I gave her a wash and fell in love again. Yeah, GTI's are awesome but hell, my 1.8t is awesome too. She still puts a smile on my face and I feel too good behind the wheel. Almost paid off, so ill be pretty secure through uni and once my life is on track I can worry about getting a sportier car and making bigger financial decisions. For now (shortlybin the future) at least I have an asset and no monthly payments!

A GTI owner parked beside me at the grocery store today and said he what ive done to my golf. I think that's all I needed [emoji14]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Thanks for the input everyone! I did some research and soul searching... The GTI is a no go. I bought my car brand new and already took a hit. If i get the GTI, i'll take another hit. Based on my age, the GTI premium for insurance was significantly higher in price and didnt feel worth it.

I gave her a wash and fell in love again. Yeah, GTI's are awesome but hell, my 1.8t is awesome too. She still puts a smile on my face and I feel too good behind the wheel. Almost paid off, so ill be pretty secure through uni and once my life is on track I can worry about getting a sportier car and making bigger financial decisions. For now (shortlybin the future) at least I have an asset and no monthly payments!

A GTI owner parked beside me at the grocery store today and said he what ive done to my golf. I think that's all I needed [emoji14]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Yeah man!

I look forward to seeing a build thread ;) :D :cool: