GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Shocks for Comfort?

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

Currently, I have a 2016 VW GTI lowered with VWR springs on stock shocks. The ride is really killing me and I am looking for something much more comfortable. I want something that almost feels like its gliding to feel close to a luxury car.

Is this possible? (doubt it) but if so, what shocks would you recommend?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Why did you cut 1.5" of suspension travel out of the car and expect a luxury ride?

Get FSD's and DG Springs and call it a day.

Too late now but DCC is amazing!

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Why did you cut 1.5" of suspension travel out of the car and expect a luxury ride?

Get FSD's and DG Springs and call it a day.

Too late now but DCC is amazing!

I honestly was fine for a year or so. After a while it just got annoying because my drives are much longer now

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Your best bet for ride quality will be returning to your stock springs, possibly with new dampers if your current ones are shot from being lowered.

Aftermarket suspensions for a car like the GTI fall into two categories: performance-oriented, and cheap replacement garbage from Monroe (or whoever) that are aimed at people who don't know dick-all about cars. You may get a smoother ride, but they won't last very long.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The full soft setting is actually softer than OEM? I did not know that.

Yup

Springs play a role too in the ride, of course, but you can easily compress the Konis by hand (on the soft setting). Whereas the OEM ones take a little force

How is your experience with the koni yellows?

Ran them on a few different cars now....they pair up with any lowering spring & I've always run them on full soft for the comfortable ride (with the lowering springs)

Can't go wrong with them IMO

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
I was looking at it. Do you have any personal experience with it?

I have FSDs on my GSW with VW DG springs. It's a great combo. However I know that the FSDs wil not work with lowering springs if they lower beyond a certain amount. I would contact Koni USA and ask them if they would work with your springs.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Yup

Springs play a role too in the ride, of course, but you can easily compress the Konis by hand (on the soft setting). Whereas the OEM ones take a little force

Ran them on a few different cars now....they pair up with any lowering spring & I've always run them on full soft for the comfortable ride (with the lowering springs)

Can't go wrong with them IMO

Ok cool thx :)

I have FSDs on my GSW with VW DG springs. It's a great combo. However I know that the FSDs wil not work with lowering springs if they lower beyond a certain amount. I would contact Koni USA and ask them if they would work with your springs.

I will now :)