GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
You can't use photobucket to host pictures anymore, btw, so your pics didn't show up

figured it our here they are, these are the same as GTI springs used ED rear spacers as well

coachfraley

Ready to race!
Just added DG springs to my '17 Golf SE 1.8TSI. I also added the GTI PP swaybar while I was at it. I have never dropped one of my cars before, but the stock gap on the golfs is just a little too much. Pleased with the ride so far. Seems much more solid around the turns. Maybe a little harsher overall. Here is a shot...

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
Just added DG springs to my '17 Golf SE 1.8TSI. I also added the GTI PP swaybar while I was at it. I have never dropped one of my cars before, but the stock gap on the golfs is just a little too much. Pleased with the ride so far. Seems much more solid around the turns. Maybe a little harsher overall. Here is a shot...

This looks great! I might have to add this to the list of things to have done! :)

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
When you guys talk about VWR vs DG because of comfort, how stiff are we talking about here? Couldn't find rates on the VWR springs, but the coilovers I had for my Accord had 8k front and 10k rear spring rates with adjustable dampers. THOSE were stiff, but I didn't mind it. Are VWR, Neuspeed, H&R Sport, and ED really that bad?

Looks sweet! :)

Paolo, to my understanding, too high spring rates aren't the main issue. I'm certain
they're below the numbers you mentioned. The main issue is travel along with too
soft spring rates and too soft damping. There's not much positive travel left and it
gets even less when the springs settle. As a result the dampers hit the bump stops
way too often. Remember bump stops use to be 10 to 20 times the spring rate of
the main (coil) springs. Inevitably, the car feels bumpy or 'stiff'.

Last edited:

Lopez0101

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 Mk7 GTI
So I switched from ED to DG springs this past weekend. The ride is more comfortable, quite a bit less stiff. I haven't gone for a spirited drive yet, so I can't really say how much body roll is back, but it feels less than stock, but more than with ED's. Also, the annoying rattle I had from the ED's, paired with 034's strut mounts, is gone now that my suspension is basically back to OEM.

Overall, I'd say I'm pleased. Which is good because my back hurts after changing out the fronts...

The picture of the springs is a comparison of the rears. I forgot to take one of the fronts.

First pic is ED, second is DG. The last one is when I just had the DG rears on with ED fronts. Honestly, I kind of like the positive rake look on GTIs!

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • DSC_0128.JPG
    DSC_0128.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 1,015

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Looks sweet! :)

Paolo, to my understanding, too high spring rates aren't the main here. I'm certain
they're below the numbers you mentioned. The main issue is travel along with too
soft spring rates and too soft damping. There's not much positive travel left and it
gets even less when the springs settle. As a result the dampers hit the bump stops
way too often. Remember bump stops use to be 10 to 20 times the spring rate of
the main (coil) springs. Inevitably, the car feels bumpy or 'stiff'.

Got it. So essentially, any springs around 30 mm max drop will suffice?

30 mm compared to stock Golf, 15 mm compared to stock GTI. More or less.

I'm under the impression that Lopez' GTI is sitting a tad lower with the DGs
than some earlier GTIs did. Did VW/Mubea even do changes on these springs?

lokerola

Ready to race!
So I switched from ED to DG springs this past weekend. The ride is more comfortable, quite a bit less stiff. I haven't gone for a spirited drive yet, so I can't really say how much body roll is back, but it feels less than stock, but more than with ED's. Also, the annoying rattle I had from the ED's, paired with 034's strut mounts, is gone now that my suspension is basically back to OEM.

Overall, I'd say I'm pleased. Which is good because my back hurts after changing out the fronts...

The picture of the springs is a comparison of the rears. I forgot to take one of the fronts.

First pic is ED, second is DG. The last one is when I just had the DG rears on with ED fronts. Honestly, I kind of like the positive rake look on GTIs!

Looks great. That's almost the same thing I did. ED spring, ECS heavy duty mounts and strut bearings. Squeaked over bumps. Went back to stock mounts and bearing and DG springs, and all is pretty good again.

I did hear one squeak the other morning, just once, going over a speed bump - so who knows, the strut mounts may already be wearing out (after 1000 miles). If that's the case, I'll just go 100% stock again.

I can't live with a loud, squeaky suspension that wears out after a few thousand miles. I really don't think the aftermarket has figured out the bearing/mount technology on MK7's yet.

Ah, the woes of the modder.

lokerola

Ready to race!
When you guys talk about VWR vs DG because of comfort, how stiff are we talking about here? Couldn't find rates on the VWR springs, but the coilovers I had for my Accord had 8k front and 10k rear spring rates with adjustable dampers. THOSE were stiff, but I didn't mind it. Are VWR, Neuspeed, H&R Sport, and ED really that bad?

To me, the ED springs were much stiffer than the DG springs. It's a subjective observation, but I would say ED were 50% stiffer than stock and DG springs are 10-15% stiffer than stock. I would have lived with the ED springs if they (combined with new strut bearings/mounts) hadn't squeaked so much. But they are significantly (to me) stiffer than stock.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
To me, the ED springs were much stiffer than the DG springs. It's a subjective observation, but I would say ED were 50% stiffer than stock and DG springs are 10-15% stiffer than stock. I would have lived with the ED springs if they (combined with new strut bearings/mounts) hadn't squeaked so much. But they are significantly (to me) stiffer than stock.

I wouldn't be able to deal with squeaky suspension either. Looks like DG with Bilsteins/Koni it is. That's a shame 'cause I'd like to go lower.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Looks perfect!

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 GSW, with VW Sport Suspension springs, 21.7mm rear GTI sway bar, and Koni FSDs. After using KW V1's for 3 mos and deciding they were way too harsh for the roads around Phila, Pa this setup is about perfect, near stock ride and much improved handling:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport with DSG. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

**Edited to update my opinion about the spacers.
I also have the ECS flush kit installed 15mm/20mm spacers. Totally love how they look and perform. We have had several rainy days and I have not experienced any noticeable increase in dirt getting kicked up on the sides of my car.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:

lokerola

Ready to race!
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

I also have the ECS flush kit installed. I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with the poke of the 15mm/20mm spacers. Might want to go 10mm/15mm.

Looks good. I have the exact same set up, including the 15/20 spacers. I thought the wheels looked pushed too far out when I first put the spacers on, but they've grown on me over the summer and look normal now.