GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adaptive Cruise Control v Cruise Control

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Does anyone know if you can temporarily switch to normal Cruise Control mode when the car is fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control?
Or is the car permanently in Adaptive Cruise Control mode?

Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Hello Stuart, thanks for your interest and comment.
I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get a response :(
It does help and I'm sure you're right.
That is, we can't revert back to simple cruise control mode.
I know it's always dangerous using analogies, but I suppose it is a bit like wanting to go back to a black and white picture, when you have a 52" tv, right?

The idea of setting the following distance to minimum dos cross my mind too.
I'm glad that you SE this as a work-around too.

I love using the ACC, I'm still amazed how smooth and accurate it is.

BTW, are you actually the author of "VW Golf Mk 7 Secrets" in that link at the bottom of you post?

Leopold

radox

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Stuart, I also had a Mk 5, GTI actually and probably the best car I've ever owned.
So I'll be interested to have a look at your comparison link.

Thanks for confirming that you are indeed the author of the "secrets" link.
I'll have a good look at that very soon.

I've found something that you and the others may find interesting re. plain CC and ACC
I'll post something in the next few days (even though you may find that you knew about it already! :p )

Leopold

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know if you can temporarily switch to normal Cruise Control mode when the car is fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control?
Or is the car permanently in Adaptive Cruise Control mode?

Leopold

Not sure why you even would want to? Plus the insurance is worked out on that very safety feature so going backwards in technology would mean you would need to inform your insurers.:confused:

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Finlonga, good points, particularly the insurance.
I suppose I'm posing an academic question really.
It did occur to me though that in the the unlikely event of someone driving your car who was unfamiliar with the functions of ACC but, was familiar with plain-vanilla CC, you could put the car in CC mode for them before they drove off.

Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Stuart, I said that I'd get back to you "I've found something that you and the others may find interesting re. plain CC and ACC
I'll post something in the next few days (even though you may find that you knew about it already! ) "

Page 213 of my Owner's manual seems to suggest that when the system detects no vehicle ahead, it reverts to plain-vanila CC, see attachment, third box down "ACC is active" Note the icon, arrow head.

The system decides whether it's in ACC or "CC" mode, not us.
Do you agree?

Leopold

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 445

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
It did occur to me though that in the the unlikely event of someone driving your car who was unfamiliar with the functions of ACC but, was familiar with plain-vanilla CC, you could put the car in CC mode for them before they drove off.

Leopold

They can't mess it up though as if they touch the brake pedal it turns off It is if you get into someone else's car with normal CC and don't realise it isn't fecking braking for you....:eek:

Same when you drive another auto without auto-hold, you stop at lights, take foot off brake then realise you are rolling forward.:D

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
They can't mess it up though as if they touch the brake pedal it turns off It is if you get into someone else's car with normal CC and don't realise it isn't fecking braking for you....:eek:

Same when you drive another auto without auto-hold, you stop at lights, take foot off brake then realise you are rolling forward.:D

Finglonga, yes - I agree to both.

"Same when you drive another auto without auto-hold, you stop at lights, take foot off brake then realise you are rolling forward"
I garage the car and turn auto-hold hold off to help me to easily position it exactly, but I sometimes forget to turn it back on when I drive off after its been in the garage :)

Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
It's not that the system decides whether it's in ACC and CC mode. It is always in ACC mode. It's just that sometimes it might appear to behave in the same way as normal CC.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7

Stuart, "It is always in ACC mode." Yes, that's right of course.

BTW I've just been reading a Road Test report on a Passat Saloon BlueMotion 1.6 TDI SCR, Volkswagen Driver March 2017.
They say on p51 that the ACC was a £590 option and " ... includes cruise control". They go on to say, "It's surprising though, that basic cruise control isn't a standard function on the BlueMotion ..... Available as an option costing and extra £260, ... "

Well, it does include cruise control, but I'm not sure if they and others realise you can't just use the "cruise control" function. That it is, as we've discussed, its part and parcel of ACC and cannot be used on its own.

Leopold

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The base models bluemotion didn't have any kind of CC as standard.
Perhaps now you can as an option.