GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Clutch Delay Valve removal on TSI 5MTs

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Could someone just drill a bigger hole in the white plastic part to still have a CDV but with less delay?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So this is transmission specific not engine specific? What about the 6MT 1.8T Alltracks/GSWs?

I think I read that is the same as gti transmission, so I would think it's setup the same as golf R

In that case, it would have a clutch delay valve as well as a clutch pedal spring.

So a little different progress than 5spd.

Last edited:

Tov Potap

Problem with bleeding.

Hey guys,

Went through the process, was able to get the plastic part out that had the small hole. I was able to get the rubber part and this plastic piece out with a paper clip. Bent the paperclip to get a straight run on it, and then a very small bend at the end of the straight, to act like a hook. Afterwords, when I was doing the bleeding part, my clutch pedal would have no pressure and would need to be pulled out after getting pushed. I can't drive the car in this condition. Any suggestion on what to do with this? Thank you.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Went through the process, was able to get the plastic part out that had the small hole. I was able to get the rubber part and this plastic piece out with a paper clip. Bent the paperclip to get a straight run on it, and then a very small bend at the end of the straight, to act like a hook. Afterwords, when I was doing the bleeding part, my clutch pedal would have no pressure and would need to be pulled out after getting pushed. I can't drive the car in this condition. Any suggestion on what to do with this? Thank you.

Sounds like you need to bleed your clutch more. Also make sure you have some extra fluid incase you have too much air and end up losing more fluid than expected.

Tov Potap

Sounds like you need to bleed your clutch more. Also make sure you have some extra fluid incase you have too much air and end up losing more fluid than expected.
murtaza911,
It worked, did the bleed procedure out, 20 or more times, got some nice air bubbles out flowing down my bleed tube into a catch bottle. Messed up a few times, lost pressure on the clutch pedal and reintroduce the air in, had to bleed some more, but it finally worked. The clutch really now feels like it is supposed to. It did have an ambiguity to it before. See attached photo for my orifice catching device made out of a paperclip.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20170423_181121078.jpg
    rsz_img_20170423_181121078.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 685

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Instead of fishing mine out.. i just remove the slave from trans by removing 2bolts and then just shook the CDVs out by tapping it in my hand. Bolted back up and good to go.

BMW Fool

Thanks everyone! I'm currently thinking about buying a GTI - didn't know that they had this nasty "feature" and I'm glad it's easy to remove.

BMW had a CDV until recently, and now they've integrated it into the slave so that you can't remove it. Grrrrr.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks everyone! I'm currently thinking about buying a GTI - didn't know that they had this nasty "feature" and I'm glad it's easy to remove.

BMW had a CDV until recently, and now they've integrated it into the slave so that you can't remove it. Grrrrr.

Slave cylinders can be taken apart just like a brake caliper. ;)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Need updated picture links

bejammindmb41

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving an old thread here, tried doing this over the weekend could not get the gasket or white piece out so I removed the 2 13mm bolts and took the whole unit out to get a better look. Pieces were already removed by previous owner.. which to me was a complete shock because the clutch in this car is impossible to drive smooth without riding the clutch and shifting like an old lady.

So the question I have is can you take a drill bit and drill the tiny hole in the middle out? Seems like even with the parts removed it goes from 1/2 inch diameter down to a few mms then I'm assuming back to around a 1/2 inch on the other side.

Also I wonder if it also has to do with the engineering of the slave cylinder, like it can only release at said speed. I'm wondering if a replacement slave would be stiffer to retract faster or just the same as oem.

Anyway, just wonder what people think or if maybe someone has already tried these things.