GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto hold not releasing when it should

jlpicard1413

epb and auto-hold not releasing

I would just add my bit to this thread ... even though it seems a while since there was any interest. On 29th December I picked up my pre-registered Golf Mk7 GT estate 150 and after a few days I experienced the same issue ... both the epb and auto-hold would not release ... probably in about 1 out of 5 uses. I took it back and the technician tried the car and they stuck for him too ... nothing appeared on the computer of course as no fault light came on on the dashboard ....they replaced the clutch switch. A few days later it did it again ... I took it back and they re-set all the sensors. A few days after that it stuck again .... so I exchanged the car for another one under the 30 day/1000 mile exchange agreement ....... identical model ... and guess what .... this did it too!!!! Only 400 difference in the VIN number ...I contacted customer relations VW UK .... who are still on the case ... but I am not very optimistic. I have sent them a selection of extracts from the forum to show them I am not on my own in this .... but again as there is no fault showing they can't do anything .......eventually I arranged for the car to go in ....they have had the car for a week .... and it hasn't faulted once!!! They are keeping it over the weekend and I am due to get it back Monday afternoon .... if the car faults again after I get it back the only other action I have is to go on the DVSA website and report this as a safety critical issue, and see what they say ... meanwhile I will drive with the auto-hold off and use the epb manually .... but I haven't quite figured how to do a hill start yet as I don't have three feet.

MalcolmB

Autohold not releasing - update

Autohold worked fine for about 6 weeks after the clutch sensor was changed then problem started again. Crawley VW then changed the handbrake switch on 12 Jan. Again everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago (i.e. for about 2 months) when it started playing up again every few days. I'll now take it back to Crawley VW again. I guess the only thing to do is keep pestering them until they get fed up with me.

I get the impression that this problem is much more common than VW would have us believe. Has anyone else experienced it?

gtchris1

Ready to race!
Yes i had same problem.last week i probably spent 2 hours on motorway but when i got back onto a roads and came to my first set of traffic lights i stopped(obviously lol).
When i tried to pull away i heard a knocking noise and the car just wouldnt move.it happened nearly every time i stopped for about 3 miles.
I had the odd burning clutch smell too.
Since i got back it hasnt happened since.
Mines only done 600 miles too..
I thought about having this looked at but decided not too.if it happens again then i will.
Does anyone think its worth having a look at anyway because this surely isnt right is it?

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
If you can reliably reproduce it, take it to the dealer. For everything else you're wasting your time..

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

radox

I have only had my Golf Mk 7 (1.6 TDI with manual transmission) for less than a month but soon experienced the Auto Hold not releasing problem a few times. Fortunately I think I may have figured out what is happening.

In my case, I think the problem only occurred when I have tried to set off slowly (for example when manoeuvring) by just lifting the clutch pedal and NOT also applying some throttle. Since realising this, in these situations I now either gently blip the throttle just before releasing the clutch or temporarily switch off the Auto Hold. I have not had this problem since.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7

mack0r

Car(s)
Golf 7
Hello. Sorry for uncovering the topic. I have the same problem with the golf 7 2018y 1.6 TDI manual. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? sometimes auto hold works very gently and sometimes it won't let go even if I add a lot of throttle.

Popvladimir

Car(s)
Golf 7.5 2.0 190 HP
Same thing here with my 2017 Golf 2.0 TDI manual. Works great for days, then won't release at times, has a mind of it's own. Has anyone found a solution that works?