GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released

LeGti

Ready to race!
George: you caught my sneaky edit! Yes, I had typed "0" instead of "1". Good eye ;-)

My JB1 was ordered October 6th, shipped same day, and delivered nine time-zones away in France six days later. That's just awesome!

If I followed correctly, I should have the new firmware already. For what it's worth, no undue idle oscillations after 5 or six cycles of city / highway / off / start / thrash!!

Maybe a tiny bit higher idle than stock? And very definitely a discrete, quiet "pop" from the exhaust upon warm startup, just as the engine catches...

Last edited:

WhiteVulpine

Ready to race!
Is anything recommended before washing the engine? It is pretty dang dusty and I do not want to ruin the JB1. Wrap it in a plastic bag or something? :)

Should I even be cleaning my engine this way. haha. I have ever only owned a Ford Ranger...the som' bish was indestructible.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Is anything recommended before washing the engine? It is pretty dang dusty and I do not want to ruin the JB1. Wrap it in a plastic bag or something? :)

Should I even be cleaning my engine this way. haha. I have ever only owned a Ford Ranger...the som' bish was indestructible.

The engines in general do not like being soaked in water. I would remove the JB unit first. I usually use a rag and clean it carefully instead of pouring water all over the place.

WhiteVulpine

Ready to race!
The engines in general do not like being soaked in water. I would remove the JB unit first. I usually use a rag and clean it carefully instead of pouring water all over the place.

Cool beans. I had noticed how sealed it was, but it was getting a bit dusty. I'll follow your method. Thank you George.

themyst

Ready to race!
Any quarter mile results for a GTI DSG? I would venture to guess 13.7-13.8@105-106 sounds about right for 93 octane. All the quarter mile JB1 results seem to be from Golf R's.

themyst

Ready to race!
Received and installed my JB1 today, did a few full cycles of city & highway driving; the thing works!! I am a very happy customer, despite the fact the unit *looks* cheaply made.

Love the fact it's removeable and re-sellable, love the performance, love the community!
Thanks again to George and all the Mk7 users who posted here !!

Still on map 1 but will try playing with map 6 asap. With a catted TBE and opened OEM airbox, the Gti is already pretty quick. With the Wagner IC (to be installed) and map 6 adjustments, 300whp seem likely :)

I'm a user of BMS products on my 335i, it'll survive years without any issue.

LeGti

Ready to race!
I'm a user of BMS products on my 335i, it'll survive years without any issue.

That's what I kept reading from many users in different forums. Helped me decide for sure.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!

Some beg to differ, but unless you're driving a show car and you'll be popping your hood at meets, cleaning the engine bay will not help you extend the life of your car in any way, and is not a required or recommended step in the maintenance of your vehicle.

bdashrad

Passed Driver's Ed
Any quarter mile results for a GTI DSG? I would venture to guess 13.7-13.8@105-106 sounds about right for 93 octane. All the quarter mile JB1 results seem to be from Golf R's.

I have a 6MT and I ran a 14.1 @ 103.99 on map 1 at +5.2 and a 14.2 @ 105.91 on map 1 at +5.0. No traction in first or second on my shitty all seasons. I could have shifted much better as well but the car is still my baby and I haven't been to the drags in 10+ years so I didn't go all out.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
I have a 6MT and I ran a 14.1 @ 103.99 on map 1 at +5.2 and a 14.2 @ 105.91 on map 1 at +5.0. No traction in first or second on my shitty all seasons. I could have shifted much better as well but the car is still my baby and I haven't been to the drags in 10+ years so I didn't go all out.

On street tires I would leave off idle modulating in first until traction is achieved and then mat it through the gears. No need to abuse the transmission with wot shifts, just shift quickly at the optimal shift points.

I'd expect a faster mph at that setting with your mods.
Assuming your fuel quality is good and not pulling too much timing...
I'd expect low to mid 13's@ 106-107ish with traction in decent air with JB1 and DP, Perhaps high 12's with slicks...
and mid 13's at 103-104ish with JB1 only on map1 default would be my guess.

Last edited:

bdashrad

Passed Driver's Ed
On street tires I would leave off idle modulating in first until traction is achieved and then mat it through the gears. No need to abuse the transmission with wot shifts, just shift quickly at the optimal shift points.

I'd expect a faster mph at that setting with your mods.
Assuming your fuel quality is good and not pulling too much timing...
I'd expect low to mid 13's@ 106-107ish with traction in decent air with JB1 and DP, Perhaps high 12's with slicks...
and mid 13's at 103-104ish with JB1 only on map1 default would be my guess.

Yeah, I was doing a terrible job off the line. Average 60' time was 2.56. Best was only 2.394.

I suspect leaving at idle and modulating first a lot more would have done better. Tires were 225/40R18 Goodyear Eagle Sports, temp was 54°. Traction was by far my biggest issue.

Fuel is Shell 93.. should be good. Will do some logs with VCDS to see if I'm getting timing pull. I do think it was mostly PEBTAC issue though (problem exists between throttle and chair).

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

We had a user with a downpipe and intake run 13.6 at 5600ft altitude this weekend. We going down to the coast next month to do quarter mile assaults.

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
We had a user with a downpipe and intake run 13.6 at 5600ft altitude this weekend. We going down to the coast next month to do quarter mile assaults.

Probably lost a second being a mile high:rolleyes:
Was that done on street tires? DSG or man?