GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yakima Round Bar Roof Rack

Hey everyone, this is my first post as I just got my 2015 Golf 1.8 3door on March 31st. I'm loving my Golf but am curious about adding a roof rack to my car for my bike and skis (once winter comes back). I currently have a round bar setup complete with a fairing from Yakima that is off my previous vehicle (Mazda 3) and realise I would need to get new feet (Q Towers) since there is no direct mount points on the Golf..... I am wondering if anyone has the round bar setup and could post pictures so I can see what kind of look the rack has. Or if I should go OEM and just retrofit the fairing to the VW rack? Thoughts?

I also wanted to share my car with you guys, loving the new rims and the Tungsten Silver [emoji7]

uploadfromtaptalk1428394978582.jpg

GJK

Ready to race!
I'm also interested in finding out more about roof racks for the Golf TSI in Canada. I'm starting from scratch. The base rack from the dealer is $430, cheaper than the Thule through the fit-my-car option (over $500). Seems funny that the dealer option is the cheapest...? I just want a basic rack to use occasionally that won't damage the car.

Error 404

I have the round bar set up.

Bars are 48 inches

I am uploading some pics right now and I will post them in here. Sorry for the mix of pics but they are from and for different things.

Last edited:

NEX

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the pics! Love you car. Did you trim the bars in the front of is the front of the car that much wider than the rear?

Error 404

Car is just that wide, no trimming at all.

Once it is on there taking the rack on and off is easy. I took measurements so I know where to put it back to.

NEX

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the Yakima clips use the oem style with the piece that sinks into the frame of the door still fit the front doors? I know for the oem rack you have to take that plug out and put the clip in the exposed hole.

bdashrad

Passed Driver's Ed
What part numbers did you use for the q clips? I bought the q63 and q64, but now Yakima has changed their site to say q63 and q112.

NEX

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone ordered the qclips fit the 3dr? I'm curious if they went with the q99 and q142 that yakima has on their fit guide

bdashrad

Passed Driver's Ed
What part numbers did you use for the q clips? I bought the q63 and q64, but now Yakima has changed their site to say q63 and q112.

Talked to Yakima yesterday. They changed the part numbers from q64 for the back to q112, but the difference is the tower pad, the clips are the same. They are sending me new pads for free! :D

elamothe15

Ready to race!
I have the round bar set up.

Bars are 48 inches

I am uploading some pics right now and I will post them in here. Sorry for the mix of pics but they are from and for different things.

Did you drive your car without the fairing on when you first got the rack? I am thinking about getting the same rack, but I was not planning on getting a fairing for it and I was just wondering how much sound it makes while driving without the fairing.

Also, what size fairing is that?

Or if anyone else has any experience with the yakima roof rack and how much sound/whistling they may make when driving without a fairing?

NEX

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a faring on my rack with me previous car and it really helped the noise when nothing was loaded. It made no difference to noise but decreased mileage when I have a few sets of skis up top