GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key fob battery replacement

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I got about 1.5 years from the original. I replaced them with Duracells from...Amazon. They've been working for about 16 months now. I bought another set about 6 months ago for when these fail. My car isn't very far from the fobs, about 25 feet.

gs2online

Ready to race!
I got about 1.5 years from the original. I replaced them with Duracells from...Amazon. They've been working for about 16 months now. I bought another set about 6 months ago for when these fail. My car isn't very far from the fobs, about 25 feet.

Thanks a lot
Can you send me the link ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ogrisker

Ready to race!
Hey guys I replaced my key fob battery twice this year. That can’t be normal .
I used a Energizer 2025 battery .

Should be using another brand ?

Please help what brand do you guys use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were the two batteries from the same package or bought separately? maybe old batteries to begin with?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Read reviews of the too-cheap-to-be-legit batteries on Amazon. Lots of 1-star reviews with comments like "these were made in 2008!", "already expired!", etc. I don't doubt that many of these are just cheap counterfeits too.

I bought 4x 2025's with a 2026 expiration date for $5.99 at Safeway today and did a preventive replacement of both of mine, which I'd changed once before. Stupid-cheap for Energizer lithium cells.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
It will close, I promise. When that 2025 dies a short death move to the 2032.
I just bought an Energizer 2032 and it fits no problem.

WescottF1

I just read this thread for the first time yesterday. After work I stopped at the store for a few things and my replace battery message came up. Weird coincidence.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
CR2032 is your friend.

I tried to put 2032's in mine, but it looked to tall (the batteries are thicker) and the cover didn't seem like it would shut. I didn't try to close the cover for fear of damaging something.

Used the factory recommended 2025 instead.

Same for me, wouldn't fit no matter how hard I tried. Which sucks because I have a stash of 2032's from my Camry fob that no longer works.

FWIW, my keys are on a hook about 8 feet from the car inside my door when the car is in the garage. Batteries have been replaced once and have been good for going on a year and a half now

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I had to replace mine after 9 months..
Surely, being a keyless is affecting the battery life.

My (keyless) fob is still working fine after 16 months (but after posting this I expect the fob battery will crap out very soon) ;)

I usually leave my R locked with KESSY switched off and the key is kept 15+ metres from the car.

Frank416821

Passed Driver's Ed
I have gone through a few name brand 2025 batteries and I hate to say it but the sunbeam ones I got at Dollar Tree have lasted the longest so far. Go figure.

I do agree that they run down quick compared to my old non-kessy GTIs.

Burner21

My battery dies every 3 months since I've had my car. Pretty irritating. Used all different brand batteries. I can't ever unlock my car unless I'm within ten feet. Terrible range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
CR2032's fit fine in every mk7 keyfob I've put them in (three different vehicles, 6 keys total).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
My battery dies every 3 months since I've had my car. Pretty irritating. Used all different brand batteries. I can't ever unlock my car unless I'm within ten feet. Terrible range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
both fobs? that ain't right....mine will go 100'+