GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spacers - Dust cover removal?

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought some spacers and alas the dust cover for the rear is providing clearance issues. I removed the dust cover, but I had to absolutely hammer the thing out. Upon removing it, it seems like VW has that cover on for a reason.

Who here has spacers and had to remove their dust covers? Any problems so far. I would not have bought these if I had known that the dust cover was going to be a problem.

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
These spacers are from Black Forest Industries. 8mm front and 15mm rear.

I sent an email to them asking if it was necessary to have to remove the cap, they replied saying in some applications it is and that they have removed their caps on their MK7 to accommodate the spacers.

I responded saying I wouldn't have bought the spacers if there was even remotely a chance that the dust caps would have to be removed. There was no mention of it on the website. I told them I do not want to remove the spacers, and if there was a possibility that maybe I received the wrong ones, or if there is another set that will allow me to keep the dust caps on.

I sent that email Sunday night and haven't heard back from them since.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
ECS sells spacers that have a dust cap built in. As I understand it, on some spacers you can reinstall the factory dust cap. Have you tried that?

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
ECS sells spacers that have a dust cap built in. As I understand it, on some spacers you can reinstall the factory dust cap. Have you tried that?

I tried but the dust caps do not fit into these spacers.

The caps on the rear seem more like dust seals rather than "caps". They go deep into the hub about an inch or so in length.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Not a fan of bfi spacers.

I just installed 42dd 15mm spacers in the rear and they fit without removing the dust cover. I can also confirm ecs 15mm fit without removing the dust cover as well.

Highly recommend the 42dd spacers if you are going to replace the bfi.

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
Not a fan of bfi spacers.

I just installed 42dd 15mm spacers in the rear and they fit without removing the dust cover. I can also confirm ecs 15mm fit without removing the dust cover as well.

Highly recommend the 42dd spacers if you are going to replace the bfi.

Good to know there are some 15mm spacers that fit with the dust cap, I will be looking into getting those, thank you!

I still haven't received a reply back from them. Looks like I might be stuck with some expensive paper weights.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Good to know there are some 15mm spacers that fit with the dust cap, I will be looking into getting those, thank you!

I still haven't received a reply back from them. Looks like I might be stuck with some expensive paper weights.

Ah, gotcha. I never noticed a dust cap on my car's hubs when I installed my spacers. If you're looking for a set that doesn't require removal of the dust caps let me know. I've got an inexpensive set that I'm looking to get rid of.

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah, gotcha. I never noticed a dust cap on my car's hubs when I installed my spacers. If you're looking for a set that doesn't require removal of the dust caps let me know. I've got an inexpensive set that I'm looking to get rid of.

What set and size spacers do you have? They definitely fit over the dust cap?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
FWIW, I had some cheap VENOM spacers I got on eBay and those fit perfectly without removing the caps. Mine were sized 15/F-20/R.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I use 10mm H&R spacers on the rear and they fit over the dust caps with no issues.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
15mm Spulen rears here. Had to remove the caps, which I didn't know beforehand. Definitely a bit of a hassle to get them off without beating the shit out of surfaces. But I got them out. They fit into the spacer hole no problem. Been running like this for 5 months and all is still well. I've had the rear wheels off recentlyish. All is well.

Remember to use antisieze on the mating surfaces.