GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tomioka IHX600 VS. EQT Vortex

NH_MK7R

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of finding what turbo I want to go with for my 2014 GLI (yes, I know it's not a Golf).

So far the two best contenders seem to be the EQT Vortex (https://eqtuning.com/products/eqt-vortex-turbocharger?variant=15439215362138) and the Tomioka IHX600 (https://www.tomiokaracing.com/collections/turbos/products/tr-ihx600-turbo-kit-for-vw-audi-mqb-ea888).

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with either one or both, and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Lots of threads exist about both of these turbos

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
There's no data that I'm aware of on this Tomi. This is the big brother, not the standard one.

Oh gotcha, my apologies

NH_MK7R

Does the GLI have the 1.8 or the 2.0? Consideration needs to be taken with exhaust volume on the 1.8 trying to spin a huge turbine. I'd target something closer to an IS38 size if it's a 1.8

It's the 2.0. Very similar to the GTI engine, but the turbo is in a different location so I'm going to have to redo all the turbo plumbing/piping

NH_MK7R

There's no data that I'm aware of on this Tomi. This is the big brother, not the standard one.

This is my problem. I can't find a single review of the IHX600 anywhere online.

I guess I could go off of the 475 reviews but I'm curious to how lag differs between the two. I don't think it should be too different since the inducer/exducer are the same size. I think the two are very similar just the 600 is much stronger than the 475.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

I guess I could go off of the 475 reviews but I'm curious to how lag differs between the two. I don't think it should be too different since the inducer/exducer are the same size. I think the two are very similar just the 600 is much stronger than the 475.

Apparently not same size. dont trust the specs on their webpage

Hoon

Autocross Champion

I think you're misguided here, and your money would be much better spent with EQT.

NH_MK7R

Apparently not same size. dont trust the specs on their webpage

Oops, made a mistake. The inducer is the same size and the exducer is slightly larger.

NH_MK7R

I think you're misguided here, and your money would be much better spent with EQT.

Why do you say that?

Tomioka makes a lot of Subaru turbos and the Sube guys only have great things to say about them. I haven't read of a single complaint so far.

I'm planning on big power (near/at 500), so I'm looking at strong turbos. Not very reliable to buy a turbo and run it near or at it's hp/boost limit. Seems like a better idea to get a stronger/slightly larger turbo and run well under its hp rating.

(Not trying to argue, just trying to really consider my options haha.)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why do you say that?

Tomioka makes a lot of Subaru turbos and the Sube guys only have great things to say about them. I haven't read of a single complaint so far.

I'm planning on big power (near/at 500), so I'm looking at strong turbos. Not very reliable to buy a turbo and run it near or at it's hp/boost limit. Seems like a better idea to get a stronger/slightly larger turbo and run well under its hp rating.

(Not trying to argue, just trying to really consider my options haha.)

So, let's explore this a little bit.

You said you want to make low 400s for a daily setting with the ability to turn it up to 500whp.

Not sure what your background is with high powered 4-bangers, but you want the smallest turbo that will reliably accomplish your goals.

Running a bigger turbo gives you headroom, but it also gives you a higher boost threshold and more lag. Its easy to fall into the rabbit hole and end up with a car that sucks to drive 95% of the time...I've done it.

Regarding Tomioka, they seem to be solid turbos. That said, the 475 can't match the airflow of the EQT despite being about the same size. On full kill, 37psi I think it made around 460whp, someone can correct me if I'm slightly off. Compare that to the EQT which will crack 500whp on 30psi by the end of the month, and can produce full boost at 2700rpm with excellent transient response.

The 600 is somewhat bigger, but no one really knows how much because their spec sheet is wrong. If you can't get accurate specs, don't expect anywhere near the support you will get from EQT. Also, if the 475 can't make 475whp on nuclear, don't expect the 600 to be a 600whp turbo. What it actually can make is unknown, so you'd be taking a real gamble by being an early adopter.

If you don't think the EQT is big enough, you might want to look into the EFR line. The EFR 7163 has been throwing down some really impressive results, but it's a very different price point.

Also consider fueling, tuning solution, etc. If you're not going to fully support a BIG turbo and choose to run one, you're getting the drawbacks without the dividends.

NH_MK7R

So, let's explore this a little bit.

You said you want to make low 400s for a daily setting with the ability to turn it up to 500whp.

Not sure what your background is with high powered 4-bangers, but you want the smallest turbo that will reliably accomplish your goals.

Running a bigger turbo gives you headroom, but it also gives you a higher boost threshold and more lag. Its easy to fall into the rabbit hole and end up with a car that sucks to drive 95% of the time...I've done it.

Regarding Tomioka, they seem to be solid turbos. That said, the 475 can't match the airflow of the EQT despite being about the same size. On full kill, 37psi I think it made around 460whp, someone can correct me if I'm slightly off. Compare that to the EQT which will crack 500whp on 30psi by the end of the month, and can produce full boost at 2700rpm with excellent transient response.

The 600 is somewhat bigger, but no one really knows how much because their spec sheet is wrong. If you can't get accurate specs, don't expect anywhere near the support you will get from EQT. Also, if the 475 can't make 475whp on nuclear, don't expect the 600 to be a 600whp turbo. What it actually can make is unknown, so you'd be taking a real gamble by being an early adopter.

If you don't think the EQT is big enough, you might want to look into the EFR line. The EFR 7163 has been throwing down some really impressive results, but it's a very different price point.

Also consider fueling, tuning solution, etc. If you're not going to fully support a BIG turbo and choose to run one, you're getting the drawbacks without the dividends.

After researching some more I think I'm leaning towards the EQT Vortex again. Seems to fit my budget and be reliable, while still being able to make 500whp. I didn't realize that the graph on their website was in WHP so if it really can make that, I'm happy.

I also read some horror stories about Tomioka and it sounds like they have a good amount of new turbos that blow up. Plus, EQT seems to have amazing customer service while Tomioka's is meh.

EQT seems like the best non-IS38 turbo out there right now. I'm surprised more people haven't discovered it yet.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
After researching some more I think I'm leaning towards the EQT Vortex again. Seems to fit my budget and be reliable, while still being able to make 500whp. I didn't realize that the graph on their website was in WHP so if it really can make that, I'm happy.

I also read some horror stories about Tomioka and it sounds like they have a good amount of new turbos that blow up. Plus, EQT seems to have amazing customer service while Tomioka's is meh.

EQT seems like the best non-IS38 turbo out there right now. I'm surprised more people haven't discovered it yet.

Well, Tomioka and EQT turbos are both made by Zage, so not sure about this one being more reliable than the other. So far one of each has blown on this forum shortly after install. Not trying to sway you against the EQT, it's better for what you want as Hoon pointed out. Nothing wrong with the Tomi though....